Will liposuction to the back leave me with loose skin or will my skin tighten up? (Photo)

Next year, I will have multiple procedures done (extended tuck, breast reduction, neck lipo, and full back lipo). Will I have loose skin on my back after the liposuction procedure? I don't want to have a back lift and have the scars. I don't mind it but I prefer the lipo instead. My surgeon nurse told it depends elasticity of the skin and the type of lipo my surgeon will be using. I am 32 and I hope that will help my skin to go back to normal. Would it give me a good result? Thanks in advance!

Loose Skin After Liposuction

Thank you very much for your question and photographs. The amount of skin retraction following liposuction of the lower back will vary according to the degree of correction and your individual skin elasticity. It does appear that you are an excellent candidate for this procedure and should expect the skin to tighten up for desirable results without a back lift. It is important that you put your trust in an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon, to ensure the most satisfying results from your anticipated procedures.

Liposuction of the back and skin loosening

Congratulations on making a plan to change your body.  Skin retraction after liposuction is patient dependent.  Given your young age and location is is probably more likely that liposuction of the back will result is good skin retraction.  

The back is one of the most favorable areas for skin retraction compared to other areas such as the abdomen, arms, and medial thighs.  Your surgeon may consider laser or ultrasound type liposuctions in the back to attempt further retraction however this is by no means an absolute requirement.

I usually recommend aggressive liposuction with the understanding that if the skin does not retract satisfactory a former excision (Back lift) could be done at a second stage.  Some non invasive treatments could also be performed for skin tightening such as radiofrequency (RF)  if required as well.

I have only one other recommendation is to make sure your surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon as those combined procedures will take in excess of 5-6 hours and a discussion on overnight stay and DVT prevention should be entertained.

Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Liposuction of Back

Although you have redundancy of your back skin now (rolls), I would recommend aggressive liposuction in this area.  The skin can frequently contract considerably, causing a 'tightening' in the area and a regression of back rolls. This is very much unlike the abdomen, where this almost never occurs. You will not necessarily get a better result using high tech devices like Vaser or laser assisted liposuction; these devices have yet to show superiority over regular liposuction.  Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Skin Tightening Solutions with VASER, ThermiRF, ultrasound

You can get great results with VASER Hi Def liposuction. I find that 4D contouring in combination with ThermiRF/ultrasound of the back with VASER does the best for this area for tightening and fat removal.  Please see an expert for a consultation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Loose Back Skin

Aggressive liposuction in this typically fibrous area can significantly improve the appearance of the back but it would not be unusual for there to be some residual rolls, albeit much flatter than they are now. The key is to thoroughly remove fat from these areas to get as much skin retraction as possible.  Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Will liposuction to the back leave me with loose skin or will my skin tighten up?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... You're a good candidate to have lipo on the back, waist and flanks, but you need to have a tummy tuck to achieve better results on your abdominal cavity...

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD