Infection after Septorhinoplasty - not responding to antibiotic - what should I do?

I had septorhinoplasty on 6/2. and still have splints in. Last Friday (6/24) I developed an infection with yellow, smelly discharge. My local doctor prescribed amox/clav. After 4 days of antibiotics, the infection is worse. I have 7 more days until I get the splints out and see the surgeon. Are there any risks in waiting 7 more days with an infection? Is there a better antibiotic?

Infection after Septorhinoplasty

You need to followup with your surgeon immediately. Your nasal splints will need to be removed immediately. I typically remove them 5 days post surgery. You will also benefit from nasal bacterial cultures and possibly a different topical antibiotic. Please call your surgeon's office ASAP. If they will not see you today, please seek a second opinion with a rhinoplasty expert or head to the emergency department. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal splints, infection after rhinoplasty, the best antibiotics, culture

Dear bindallastx,
I make every effort to avoid interfering in the postoperative care of other people rhinoplasty patient's however from your description you need more aggressive acute management. The infection will not resolve with the splints in your nose. Most splints are left in place for a period of 7-10 days not 4 weeks. The purulent drainage from your nose needs to be culture and a more broad spectrum antibiotic should be considered. If an infection occurs after a rhinoplasty it can compromise the viability of the cartilage and you can be at risk of collapse of the nasal architecture. On occasion increased nasal drainage can simply be the result of the foreign body, splints, and the nose and may not represent infection. If you are experiencing increased pain, fever and chills then a more significant infection should be considered and immediate intervention undertaken. I wish you the best of luck and the best of an outcome.

Edward Farrior, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon