What important questions should I ask at my Tummy Tuck Pre-Op apt. What items should I purchase to help with recovery?

My surgery for my stainless tummy tuck is 11/22. I've never had any type or surgery or even a stitch. I'd like some input of some "must ask" questions and possibly some must have items to purchase before surgery to help with recovery. Thank you in advance.

"Must Ask" Tummy Tuck Questions

I think the recover, both right after surgery and in the 2 or 3 weeks to follow is where patients need the most information. Be sure you get a clear understanding of this from your surgeon,a s we each have our own preferences on how to care for the incision, activity level, and diet.  

You should also be made aware of common complications and what to expect or watch for in the first few days once you're home.

Important Questions about Tummy Tuck procedure

In my practice, all patients receive a pre-operative packet with all the instructions and information that they need before surgery. Specifically for the tummy tuck procedure, patients need to understand these things: recovery time, where the incision will be placed (hipbone to hipbone and well below the belly button if possible), how will the belly button be placed during the procedure, how to take care of the drains, whether or not a pain pump will be placed (we always place a pain pump to decrease pain during recovery), whether a catheter will be placed, what type of pain medication will be prescribed, and the type of garment needed post operatively. These are just a few of the questions that could be asked. We provide all supplies and the post operative garment which will be worn for 4-6 weeks. Some patients choose to purchase spanx or something similar to that to wear during the day which is not as bulky as the garment they are given after surgery. Also, it is helpful to have a cane to alleviate the pressure on your back when you are walking around since you will be "hunched" over due to the tightness immediately after surgery. Many of my patients like to sleep in a reclining chair to make it easier to get up and down. My nurse spends quite a bit of time explaining what should be expected and is always available for calls after surgery.  I hope this helps, and I wish you luck in your upcoming surgery.