I wanted to know if it was possible to reduce the profile of my nose as well as get rid of the hump? (Photo)

I've always hated my nose and I finally have a chance to change it. However, I watch too much botched and I'm scared it's unfixable. I read it's hard to dramatically change the size of your nose. A lot of before and after photos I've seen have focused on the hump. I don't see any with a real change in size so I'm just wondering if what I want is possible

Sure it's possible. See the morph I made.

Click on the "Web reference" link, just below my response, or go here:

FacialSurgery.com/RealSelf/RealSelf_aruley.html

I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands. Besides lowering the bump, I brought your nose back much closer to your face. That's called "de-projecting" the nose. The woman in the short video above had her nose de-projected substantially.

I also elevated your tip a small amount, because when you lower a bump and deproject the nose, it can make the nose *look* longer, so it's important, in my opinion, to elevate the tip so the nose doesn't look too long after surgery.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of Hump and Reduction of Nose

A rhinoplasty can be done to set back your over projected tip, lift your hanging columella, and proportionately remove you hump. I understand your concern about an unfavorable result but you should consult with a surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty surgery, devoting most of their practice to this procedure. Rhinoplasty is one of the most challenging cosmetic operations that we do.

Nasal tip deprojection

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a nasal tip deprojection and a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  You are correct--many surgeons have before and after pictures of dorsal hump reductions, but you need to find a surgeon who performs nasal tip deprojections and can show you real before and after pictures.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had nasal tip deprojections performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thanks for including your photos. It looks like you are an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty. You have what is called a tension nose or tension tip where the septum has essentially overdeveloped and has created a hump and a tip position that is is defined by your septum rather than your tip cartilages. Your skin also appears to be of thin to moderate thickness which means that you will definitely be able to see all of the beneficial changes to the underlying cartilage. 

I recommend that you find a surgeon that uses 3D imaging to help communicate the plan and to simulate your results. This technology has proven to be a critical part of my rhinoplasty practice.  In this case, a picture truly is worth a thousand words.  Good luck!! 

Jon Kurkjian, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Reduce the profile of my nose as well as get rid of the hump

The areas of your nose that concern you, the hump and the overall size, can be realistically cosmetically improved with an artistically performed natural appearing rhinoplasty.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how to do it based on  a limited two dimensional photo without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best surgery. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Question

Thank you for your question. Based on your picture, I would say that it is certainly possible to change the profile of your nose.  Also, I believe that you would be able to reduce the height of the nasal dorsum (bridge), as well. This is done with a procedure called open Rhinoplasty.  I would suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon, who specializes in Rhinoplasty.  During this procedure, the underlying cartilages that give structure to the nose will be reshaped and made smaller.  The nasal dorsum will also be taken down.  The goal of the operation is to give your nose a more refined and softened appearance.  

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty , some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

RHINOPLASTY AND CHIN AUGMENTATION CANDIDATE

Dear aruley, An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon is used to seeing patients with your current concerns and these can be addressed with rhinoplasty surgery with very rewarding results. Your dorsal hump and tip need refining as well as the tip needs de-projecting and the hanging columella addressed. I would also suggest that you consider chin augmentation to add a nice balance to your profile. Seek consultation with some experts and have imaging performed to show you the proposed changes and then you can decide if these changes are the desired result you have in mind. See some examples in the link below and video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

I wanted to know if it was possible to reduce the profile of my nose as well as get rid of the hump?

From the one very limited photograph, it appears that there is a large and overly projecting nose, and a weak recessive chin profile. The weak And recessive chin profile makes the nose look even larger than it really is. In addition to the rhinoplasty procedure, consider placement of a chin implant to help with facial balance and proportions. Chin implants are manufactured in a large array of sizes and shapes, and are placed through  a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure. The rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish decreasing the projection of the nose, refining the nasal tip, shaving down the dorsal hump, and narrowing the bridge line with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose, also known as closed rhinoplasty. For more information and many  before and after examples of  rhinoplasty in combination with chin implants, please see the link and the video below