I had a tummy tuck exactly 8 days ago and my lower stomach is still numb I can't feel it. Is that normal or should I be worried?

Normal Numbness

Dear A new me35,

Because the skin and fat of the lower abdomen are lifted up all the way to the ribs and then stretched down again they are detached from the normal sensory nerve distribution. That numbness will improve for a full year after surgery but will not recover 100%. It will become your new baseline, however, and it is unlikely it will be bothersome at that point.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Numbness after tummy tuck

Congrats on having had your tummy tuck! I typically tell my patients they will experience some numbness to their lower abdomen for months after surgery. As time goes on, sensation can start to slowly return. Some areas may not regain sensation. I think you should have a discussion with your plastic surgeon and relay your concerns to him.

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after tummy tuck

Numbness of the skin of the lower abdomen is to be expected after tummy tuck. It will likely last for a few months. Small sensory nerves are cut by necessity during the surgery. That are very slow to grow back. It is not unusual for it to be 6 months or more. Sometimes normal sensation never comes back. 

Kenton Schoonover, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon

8 days post op

Thank you for the question.  You are still early in the recovery stage.  Numbness of certain abdominal parts after a tummy tuck is not uncommon since your nerves are still regenerating at this point.  You should regain sensitivity in the next few weeks or months.  For any concerns, please consult with your board-certified plastic surgeon.  Best of luck, Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Don't worry

No need to worry!  It is completely normal to have areas of numbness after a tummy tuck.  During the surgery, small sensory nerves are cut in order to do the procedure.  These nerves generally take several months and even up to a year at times to regrow.  

Joseph R. Coscia, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after tummy tuck

Thanks for your inquiry, it is common to have numbness after a tummy tuck that can take several months to resolve.  Without examining you, I cannot tell if there is something to be concerned about.  Good Luck.

Sensation loss

Thank you  for your question. This is not unusual after a Tummy Tuck. As nerves repair you can expect sensation to slowly return. I recommend that you share your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Numbness after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  It's very common to have numbness after a tummy tuck.  It may take months for much of your sensation to return.  Be sure to follow your surgeon's instructions during recovery.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Numbness After Tummy Tuck

Thank you very much for your question.

Numbness in the lower central part of the abdomen is VERY common after a tummy tuck, and can take months to return.  There may even be a small area (emphasis here) that is permanently numb.  I wouldn't be worried at all.  I would continue to follow closely with your surgeon and follow their recommendations.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Tumbness after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. Numbness is common after a tummy tuck. If you are concerned, you can follow up with your plastic surgeon for more information and tips to help you with your recovery.

Martin Jugenburg, MD