I had a Sculpsure treatment on my lower abdomen and found it to be a little uncomfortable.

I had a Sculpsure treatment on my lower abdomen and found it to be a little uncomfortable. I was told the upper abdomen is more uncomfortable and should expect some pain. However, I had a treatment today and didn't feel a thing. I'm concerned now perhaps there was an issue with the treatment?

Sculpsure discomfort

The level of discomfort with the treatments can vary between patients, areas treated or timing of the treatment. I find that a lot of my female patients are more sensitive to pain around their menstrual cycle which could have been the case with you. The level of discomfort does not correlate to the effectiveness of the treatment, so I would not worry that it wasn't as effective. Good luck.

Livingston Physician

#Sculpsure/#Body Contouring/ #Hi Definition Prcoedures

Sculpsure is a noninvasive 1060nm diode laser treatment that removes up to 25% of stubborn fat in the treated area in 25 minutes.It is FDA approved for the abdomen and flanks. It is safe if you get pregnant in the future.

The body contouring effects are seen in as quick as six weeks with final results at 12 weeks.

The results are permanent as long as you maintain your weight and health.

The laser targets and destroys the fat cells only which are then naturally removed from the body. Since the laser does not affect the skin or muscle it can be used on all skin colors and there has been no reported incidents of burns when treated by a properly trained physician. It is protective since it alternates heating and cooling.

It has four applicators that can be customized to treat the areas of stubborn fat.

If a second treatment is needed we wait at least six weeks and usually closer to 12.

If you notice lumps after (which I've never seen) I would recommend massage. You should also alert your surgeon.  No compression garment required.

There is no downtime and you can resume your normal activities right after the treatment. There may be some soreness in the area for a few days for which you can take ibuprofen or tylenol. A cold compress can also be used.

Sculpsure is not used for skin tightening however some of our patients have seen this. If more skin tightening is needed we have combined this with thermi or Ulthera for a complete treatment. Sculpsure is recommended for stubborn areas of fat that are not being lost by diet and exercise. It is not a weight loss treatment

Since I have both a coolsculpting and sculpsure I am working on protocols of utilizing both of these depending upon what areas need to be treated and the response to the treatment.

I have used sculpsure on other areas other than the abdomen with very good results.

I also use a Vectra 3D imaging system to try and show people what their treatment areas could look like.

Since Sculpsure outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Sculpsure or other treatments are available to meet your goals.

Take care,

Dr Schwartz

Discomfort with SculpSure?

SculpSure is effective at permanently removing about a quarter of the fat cells in a treated area.  The experience of my patients, my staff, and myself is that there is some discomfort during the treatment, but, that the discomfort is worth it. In my practice, our SculpSure medical esthetician is present with the patient at all times during the treatment and he is continuously monitoring and adjusting the treatment level, and checking in with the patient.

SculpSure Sensation During Treatment

The sensation that people feel during the sculpsure treatment varies by area and by patient. It also varies from treatment to treatment.  Some days patients are more sensitive than they are on other days.  I wouldn't worry about the lack of sensation.  Typically patients that don't have much sensation can be treated at higher levels and have excellent results

Jennifer Parker Porter, MD, FACS
Bethesda Facial Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure Experience

How you respond to SculpSure treatments is not related to how your results will develop, however, higher temperature settings will affect the intensity of the treatment.

SculpSure works by engaging a controlled hypothermic 1060 nm wavelength to the body, targeting the fatty tissue. The heated wavelength establishes a controlled hyperthermic temperature of 42°C and 47°C causing an injury to the adipose, without any damage to the dermal tissue. The damaged adipocytes will be absorbed and removed gradually by the body’s inflammatory process and the volume of fat in the treatment area will decrease. 

Some patients may experience temporary redness, tenderness, swelling and tissue firmness on the treatment sites. Tenderness may last up to two weeks. Patients are encouraged to gently massage the area twice a day for 5 to 10 minutes and are able to use a cold compress and/or acetaminophen to help relieve any discomfort. 

Patients can expect to see results in approximately 6 weeks with optimal results seen in 12 weeks. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain during SculpSure is very unusual

Most treatment sessions with SculpSure are painless or there is very little pain and discomfort.  Pain does not correlate with results.  The laser can heat the skin and become uncomfortable, but adjustments during the procedure can be made to minimize that discomfort.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure

Thank you for your question. Did you indicate the discomfort with your previous procedure to your surgeon? If so, then the assumption is that the surgeon heeded your request and used a lighter setting so that you would be comfortable. Also, your body may have grown accustomed to the SculpSure sensation. I suggest that you consult with your board certified facial plastic surgeon to unpack the results and feeling of your procedure.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculpsure experience

the Sculpsure experience can vary. My office was one of the first to have it in New Jersey, I and my office staff have all had the procedure. From all of my experience I can tell you that some people feel absolutely nothing when having the procedure and it's amazing for them. Everyone else feels some level of soreness tightness or pinching. I usually help distract people during the treatment and it works well for everyone if you can help them in this way. 

Nikesh K. Patel, MD
Freehold Plastic Surgeon

Should be fine

some areas can be more uncomfortable than others. also people definitely experience it differently too. 

i have patients say it was a bit sore and others say they could not feel anything. 

as long as the setting is at least 1.1, you should get improvement, though if it was painless, i would suggest increase the intensity to the maximum, which is 1.4

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure not designed to be painful

Thanks for your question. Pain or no pain does not indicate an erroneous treatment. People have different pain thresholds causing different reactions, but not necessarily different results based on the amount of discomfort. Hope this helps. Best, Dr. Katz

Bruce E. Katz, MD