I had Restylane filler under my eyes 2 weeks back, now I am having pain around my left eye, what should I do?

I went to a plasticsurgeon and he used a needle. My right eye is fine but i started having the pain around left side eye since day1 .The pain more inside the eye and less under the eye. The pain is more at the end of the day or when i walk for 20mins. I tried putting ice and taking a nap when i feel uncomfortable and i would feel better. I saw the dr. again today, he prescribed steroids. I don't have any visible lumpsorbruises and filler looks good. Can you please advise what is causing this?

Thanks for your query. There is swelling post filler which might be the cause of the pain or it might have gone into the nerve which could have caused the pain at first pain. As you typically describe as the pain which grows more with exertion and relieves at rest signifies it to be more inflammatory. Short course of steroids will ring down the inflammation and ease the pain. Hope it helps.

All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

Pain two weeks after Restylane

I'm glad you contacted the physician who performed your injections.  Bruising and tenderness is common when treating the tear troughs, but usually does not last 2 weeks.  Without pictures or an in-person exam, it's difficult to determine what is causing your discomfort.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

It is hard to determine the cause without a complete examination or culture. There is always the slight risk of biofilm development with any filler - this is a bacterial infection that develops as a result of needle contamination at the injection site. This is treated with an antibiotic rather than a steroid. If you see no improvement go back to see your doctor.

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon