I was poked hard in my left breast. Should I be concerned?

I'm one year PO breast augmentation. I was poked hard in my left breast ( I have gel implants). I noticed after that happen, it started to hurt. My nipple is really sore and under it. There is no bruising or any redness etc. My arm has been aching from the shoulder down to my hand. I'm worried that it hurt my implant or caused some sort of damage. Should I be concerned?

Implants are very durable

Dear dm1107,

With your implants only one year old it is very unlikely that you have damaged your implant. They are extremely durable, and I usually demonstrate this to my patients at consultation by squeezing them, dropping them, stepping on them, etc., and they are very resilient. If you had injury significant enough to injure the implant I am sure you would have had very profound bruising in the breast as well.

MRI is the gold standard in imaging evaluation. Another option less sensitive would be ultrasound but far less expensive.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Post op concerns

You should make an appointment with your plastic surgeon for an in person examination as the symptoms you are describing could indicate a number of things. More pictures would be helpful, but having your doctor examine you and prescribe further treatment is probably necessary.

Good luck!

Highly unlikely

Without breaking the skin, it's very unlikely that your implant was damaged. Always safe to see your plastic surgeon for an exam.

When in doubt, get it checked

Only way to resolve your concern is by getting yourself evaluated.  Yes, severe poke can damage implants. Only way to rule out implant rupture is MRI.
Guess work is never productive in these situations.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Thank you for your question.  A "poke" to the breast is unlikely to have damaged your implants.  However, if you have persistent pain and other symptoms, be sure to visit your surgeon and consider an imaging study like an MRI to evaluate the integrity of your implants.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Implant damage concern

Thank you for your question. While it is unlikely that you have serious damage from a "poke" if you have ongoing pain or concerns, you may want to visit your primary care physician who can order and ultrasound or MRI for you if needed.

All the best 

Poked Hard

Thank you very much for your question.

It is unlikely that there is anything wrong with your implant.  However, I recommend you contact your plastic surgeon for an evaluation.  If the symptoms continue, they may want to have you undergo an MRI or ultrasound.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Implant damage?

It is unlikely you damaged your implant from a hard poke in the chest.  That being said, the you should be evaluated by your surgeon to make sure everything is alright, if you are concerned.  An MRI may be indicated to check the integrity of the implant shell.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon