I am getting Perlane (Restylane) coming up in a week. Would there be any reason as to why I could not drink prior to injection?

Ie I would like to drink this Saturday and Sunday for a wedding (wine mainly), and the Injection date is the following Thursday. Also, is there any reason I cannot get on a flight 48 hours after injection?

Alcohol and fillers

There is no absolute contraindication to drinking alcohol and having fillers done. That said, there is an inherent risk of bruising with fillers or anything where a needle enters into the skin, and so having alcohol on board would just increase the size and duration of your bruise. Your injection being 3-4 days later would be fine, and no problem with flying after fillers or botox.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane and alcohol

Before any procedure I recommend stopping Vitamin E, aspirin, or any blood thinner. Alcohol can also increase the chances of bruising so that should be minimized before injections. After the injections you can feel free to fly without a problem. 

Drinking after Injections

I agree with my colleagues. Yes there's some scattered data that suggests bruising might be increased after injections with alcohol consumption, but to be honest, I think the risk is very low.

Enjoy the wedding. 

Fillers and alcohol

Some people believe that alcohol can increase the likelihood of bruising, so that's the only reason you wouldn't want to do it before fillers. You are talking about days before though so it's fine.... And you can certainly fly 48 hours later with no issues.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Drinking and Filler

Drinking increases the risk of bruising and swelling post procedure.  If the doctor uses a cannula then this risk is much less.  As for a flight, there is no restrictions on fillers and flights.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Drinking Prior to Injections

Hi DG.  Our pre-treatment instructions include no alcohol for 48 hours, no aspirin for 7 days and no supplements like fish oil for 7 days as well.  Following these pre-treatment instructions helps our patients minimize the possibility of bruising because not avoiding them can contribute to thinning the blood.  This makes you more prone to bruising.

You should not have any problem flying after 2 days either.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Is it OK to drink #alcohol before injectable treatments - #Juvederm #Botox #Restylane #Perlane ?

I do not have a problem with drinking in moderation prior to injectable treatments or flying two days after a filler. There is a chance that you will have some bruising at the time of your flight, however. This is something important to consider. This is based on my personal experience so it is very important to pose this question to your actual physician injector to ensure that they agree with this plan. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon