I'm 8 months post breast aug and I'm starting to feel achy pain and heaviness in my right breast. Is this capsular contracture?

It radiates to the nipple. It's not severe but I haven't felt this since early on. It almost feels like it's bruised. My implants are very soft and look normal. Could this be the start of CC or just nerve reconstruction? Does CC start slowly and get more severe or do you wake up one morning and know you have it?

New Pain at 8 Months Post-Op

It sounds as if you do have nerve regeneration, but it is always a good idea to see your surgeon to be sure. Since you report that your implants are soft and look "normal", it is likely not capsular contracture, but your doctor will want to document this new achy pain and monitor it.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

New onset of pain

Any new onset of pain should be evaluated by your surgeon. At times its nothing but it could be a sign of something developing such as a capsular contracture. seek your surgeon for an exam.

Good luck!

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS

You should see your surgeon to be sure

Any new pain can be indicative of new phenomenon. Any answers without proper exam of you will just be guess work. Early capsular contraction can start like this. See your surgeon.  

Vasdev Rai, MD

Nerve regeneration after Breast augmentation

The symptoms you are describing sound like normal nerve regeneration.  If your breasts are soft and mobile I doubt you are developing capsular contracture.  Best of luck.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Capsular Contracture?

This does not sound like a capsular contracture, however it would be best to just have a follow up with your surgeon to rule out. Usually a contracture is more of a hardening, tight feeling in the breast due to the implant being squeezed. Contractures can move at different rates, but usually progress over time.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Nerve regeneration

More than likely this is still some nerve regeneration going on.  If the implants are soft, I would not immediately attribute this to capsular contracture.

Ethan Philpott, MD

Breast pain

While your description sounds more like neurogenic, or caused by nerve pain, because it is new, I recommend that you be followed up by your operating plastic surgeon.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast pain

Thanks for your inquiry,  it is best you be examined by your plastic surgeon.  In general capsular contracture would present with hardening of the breast.   It can start slow or rapidly progress over days to weeks, I have seen both.  

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Sensory changes in the breast may be a harbinger of capsular contracture.

Most of the time capsular contracture is insidious and unrecognized until the breasts feel firm. Some patients do perceive a change in feeling on the chest that is common comment with capsular contracture. Visit your plastic surgeon.

See you surgeon

Most likely you are experiencing a self limiting problem from strain or nerves but always follow up with your surgeon.
Best Wises,
Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS