I have a lump on my right side of my boob, should I be worried?

I am a month and half post of from getting implants. About a couple days ago I felt a lump on my right side of my implant. It feels hard and the shape of a bean. I didn't have it before, I have been taking good care of myself and being cusious with my implants ever since I had got them done. I'm really worried, my dr says it's fine it will go down soon but it just doesn't feel right. I want to see a local dr but scared of it being pricey, worried I might need to get the implant removed.

Post Breast Aug Lump

Dear marie2390, You have not told us your age, health history or family history, which would impact any kind of level of concern whether this lump represents an early cancer. However, the fact that you felt no lump whatsoever and now six weeks after breast augmentation you feel a lump indicates a very good explanation for that since you are still swollen. I think you should wait at least six more weeks before being concerned about that to allow the swelling to recede further. If it persists, then you may require a localized biopsy. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Breast augmentation - now feel a lump

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • I understand your concern.
  • It is not uncommon to feel the side of your implants as the swelling subsides.
  • If you cannot return to see your surgeon though, it is smart to see a local plastic surgeon to be sure all is well.
  • There will be a fee - but it is worth the peace of mind.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast Lump

The lump you feel could be temporary swelling. You could ask your primary care physician to examine your breasts for changes/lumps.
All the best

Thank you for your question.  You need to have an examination with a Board certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best Wishes.

Thank you for your question. Any lump in the brest should be evaluated. It may be benign, but need to be examined and if needed some radiological tests performed to aid the diagnosis. Please see a board certified PS for evaluation locally.

Lump

All lumps should be examined clinically and possibly with radiography using ultrasound to determine what the mass is. No mass should go undiagnosed.

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Lump in breast after augmentation

It is not uncommon to feel lumps and bumps within the breast after augmentation.  
In some cases, what feels like a lump is actually a fold or knuckle in the implant.  These often go away as the breast softens over the first few months but can persist.  If a knuckle in the implant does not resolve it may need to be corrected surgically -- implants that remain folded within the pocket are much more likely to fail due to increased stress on the shell.
Your firm, bean-sized lump may very well be a lymph node within the breast.  These are the size of a bean and feel firm, rubbery, and slightly mobile.  Inflamed lymph nodes can result from the trauma of surgery itself, viral infection, or bacterial infection.  Something scarier like cancer is unlikely, but should be considered.

Any mass within the breast needs to be taken seriously and evaluated.  If your Plastic Surgeon is not local, you should seek consultation with a local board certified Plastic Surgeon with significant breast expertise.  In my practice, I extend courtesy visits to patients who have had surgery elsewhere and would see you for free for a simple exam.  I can only hope that other surgeons would extend my patients the same courtesy!

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon