I recently had coolsculpting on my abdomen area. Would there be a noticeable difference if I did not do the love handles?

Coolsculpting

The patient will typically see a 25% reduction in fat cells in the area directly treated with Coolsculpting. It is best to conduct a 360 degree assessment of the body with your doctor and treat circumferentially with the device to achieve the best overall results - so if love handles are present we would recommend treating those in addition to the abdominal area.

CoolSculpting fat loss

Dear coolsculpt1000:

CoolSculpting (CS) is tried and true. Each session will reduce a small amount of localized areas of fat. Many patients note the same concern you do:
  1. will fat distribute elsewhere, and 
  2. what about the appearance of adjacent areas?
The answer is yes and yes. 
Calories consumed or lack of calories expended will redistribute fat to other areas of the body. While this is only 50-100 grams of fat per session of CS, it will accumulate with the more CS sessions you do.
Many patients will visualize improvements in the areas of CS performed and feel that adjacent areas or even distant area are more visible. This may be an illusion or real. 
You should speak with your Certified CoolSculpting 

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting for the Abdomen

Coolsculpting and the abdomen is the number 1 most popular area performed.  However, most patients return to do the flanks as well so that they can see the best results.  The procedure only effects the area treated and will reduce fat in that area by up to 25%.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist who is an expert in Coolsuculping.  Best, Dr. Green

Coolsculpting for the abdomen

If you had your abdomen treated with Coolsculpting you should be able to appreciate a difference even if you did not treat the love handles or other areas.  Each area is independent of any another.  Many of our patients are so happy with one area that they later opt to return to have others (like the love handles) treated as well.  For the most sculpted look and best results, it is quite common to treat the abdomen and love handles at the same time. 

Grant Stevens, MD

CoolSculpting Abdomen and Flanks

CoolSculpting only works on the areas where the applicators where placed.  If you were a good candidate for CoolSculpting, you can expect to see a 20-25% fat reduction of the treated area in the coming months.  Our office advocates a 360 degree approach to treating patients.  Often, patients who need CoolSculpting in the abdomen also have excess fat of the flanks.  Treating both of these areas allows patients to experience maximal results.  If you have concerns about your flanks, you can always address this area in the future.  I would discuss your concerns with your provider who can do a thorough consultation and map out a complete treatment plan to best meet your needs. 

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting is really fat-reduction that results in body "shaping"

Thanks for your question.  Coolsculpting works in the area treated only, so if your love handles are the problem then you will need to treat them to see a result.  This is not a weight-loss machine!  If you treated your front abdomen, you will begin to see results after 2-3 months following treatment.  We like coolsculpting because we never see lumps and results are really reliable.  Usually 2 treatments per area is utilized for best results!

Good Luck!

Michael Howard Swann, MD
Springfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting of the Stomach , Should I do Flanks?

I suggest always "contouring" versus fat removal.  One procedure of the stomach will not make any significant disproportion however.  If you are looking to "contour" or shape, I would suggest a hi definition liposuction procedure.  Otherwise you will need multiple noninvasive treatments overlapping to get some form of a contour, but rarely get etched lines or definition.  Best, Dr. Emer.

CoolSculpting Abdomen And Not Love Handles

If you are an appropriate candidate for CoolSculpting then you should still see results to your abdomen even if you didn't treat your love handles. If you have treatable fat in your love handles, then you may also want to consider treating them at some point to give you the best overall results. Hope this helps.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is a great option for treating localized areas of fat accumulation with no downtime or scars. The areas that bother you are obviously what you are going to want to treat, but you also need to consider the overall aesthetics and how treating one area may impact the appearance of adjacent areas. If your abdomen is what bothers you, and not your flanks, treat your abdomen. Once that looks better, you may start noticing some other body part that bothers you (like your flanks). That is just human nature (i.e. you can never be to thin, to rich....), and that's why additional Coolsculpting treatments are so popular!
I would recommend you have your Coolsculpting in a Plastic Surgery practice because they specialize in body contouring and can give you alternatives if something else would better help you reach your goals. They also may have more experience in considering the entire aesthetic area (your torso as opposed to just one area of fullness), and setting realistic expectations.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal CS without treating flanks

It is OK to treat the abdomen without the flanks. We just point out which areas can benefit from the treatment at the beginning so that you are informed. 

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD