I got approved for breast reduction through my insurance. Will removing 689 grams per breast be too much? Bra is 38DDD (Photo)

Recently, I got approved for breast reduction. Will removing 689 grams per breast be too much? I want to be a small C or bigger B. I don't want to look flat chested. My surgeon nurse told me that it's not that much. I just want different opinions from other Drs & making sure this is right for me. I am also having a extended tummy tuck & lipo some areas. Would it be better to pay out of pocket to get the result I want? But I want to save some money since I got approved. Thanks in advance!

Is removing 689 grams too much?

Thank you for your question and photos. From your pictures, it appears that you would definitely benefit from a #breastreduction. In general when the excessive breast size causes functional problems, #insurance will generally pay for #surgery if more than 400 – 500 grams are removed from each breast dependent on your individual insurance company requirements. If your insurance has approved your procedure, it will be a significant cost savings to you.

My best advise I can give you is to make sure that the doctor you choose is a #board-certified plastic surgeon. They will be able to consult with you to determine your needs based on your anticipated outcome. Ultimately the size you choose to reduce your breast to, is up to you and your surgeon. However, if you are removing enough breast tissue to decrease your cup size several sizes, you should notice a significant difference. If you do consent to surgery, make sure that you are comfortable with the surgeon you have selected and that all of your concerns have been addressed to your satisfaction. Congratulations on your decision and good luck!

I got approved for breast reduction through my insurance. Will removing 689 grams per breast be too much?

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

There is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon (who you should choose very carefully). Most patients wish to achieve enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful.  For example, I have found that the use of words such as “proportionate” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. 

Once you have communicated your goals carefully, your plastic surgeon will be able to provide you with an estimation of how much tissue will need to be removed, in order to achieve your desired outcome.

Best wishes with your breast reduction procedure; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.

Breast reduction, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. 
After having analyzed all the information provided to us, i can realize that you have very large breasts for your height and weight, and can be responsible for head, back, neck and shoulder pain.

In the future may cause  permanent osteo-articular damage in the back and shoulders and skin problems (mainly under the breasts). For for this reasons, certainly you need a breast reduction surgery.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast Reduction

Unfortunately, photographs are not helpful for estimation of breast tissue resection weights. This is best done by physical examination. I'm sure your surgeon is happy to take insurance for your breasts because he is getting directly paid for the body work; chances are he won't get much from insurance regardless of weights, so don't worry about how much he removes, he wont intentionally take too much. Nobody, not me or any other on line consultant, or even your surgeon can tell you what cup size you'll be; bra cup sizes are inconsistent and non-standardized. My recommendation is the smaller the better, because less weight means less recurrent sagging, and you'll feel much happier and look slimmer. As for breast shape, it is a myth that leaving more tissue will help with upper pole fullness. All breast volume travels to the bottom of the breast after reduction, leaving the upper poles empty, and that is what implants can remedy, if necessary.  Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast reduction

Whether paying out of pocket or with insurance you should still be able to get the result you want, the same procedure is done.  You need to talk to your surgeon about what you expect. Don't just talk about cup size, ask to see postop photos and find a size range that you like.  Looking at your photos I think 700 gm would leave you will a nice result, but I am concerned  that you say you could be a large B (that is a pretty small cup size). When communicating about breast size with your surgeon you need to make sure you are speaking the same language, in other words that you both agree what a C cup looks like.  Good luck, Jane

Appropriate kilograms to remove with breast reduction

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction.

• Truly the only person who can advise you is your surgeon.
  • Depending on your height, weight and breast density, the appropriate weight of breast tissue to remove can be anywhere from 250 gm to 1000 gms or more in each breast.
  • So make your goal clear to your surgeon and discuss your concerns before surgery.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

This seems appropriate

Based upon the photographs you have provided, a 600-700 gram breast reduction would remove approximately one-third to one-half of the breast.  This would most likely leave you in a C-D cup range.  Most of your tissue needs to be removed from the outside of the breast, which would leave you with the desired fullness in the middle, cleavage area.

Raymond O. Schultz, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon