Why am I hurting so badly 6 days post-op? Most everything I've read, women say they are fine after 2 or 3 days. (Photo)

Is it my age, 47 my size, 5'5 125 pds. I had 470 CC Saline under the muscle. I feel like a big baby. The bruise in the middle of my chest hurts so bad. I stopped taking the narcotics because I have never done well with them. I'm allergic to Aspirin and anything associated with it, which leaves me with acetaminophen only. My surgery was Oct. 10 and I went to my office job today for 4 hours and could barely make it. The hardness and skin stretching is miserable. What can I do to get some relief?

Why am I hurting so badly 6 days post-op?

Everyone handles pain differently so don't feel bad, you can't compare yourself to any other person. Try minimising your sodium intake as this can add to your swelling and discomfort. Ice for 20mins at a time when you are home, this will also help with the swelling and tightness. Every day will get better, give your body time to heal. Best wishes, Dean Vistnes. 

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Pain post-operatively

Thank you for the question.  It is normal to have pain after surgery and it is very subjective as to how people handle it.  Breast augmentation tends to cause a lot of pain because when the implants are placed under the muscle, it takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch out to accommodate the implant.  In addition, the muscle can spasm which will cause pressure and pain as well.  It's always great to limit your narcotic usage, but stick with the acetaminophen and follow the directions as to not take too much in one day - this can be toxic to the liver.  You are not a big baby and you should start to feel better day by day.  If you have any concerns, please follow-up with your board certified Plastic Surgeon. 

Michael Ian Rose, MD
Red Bank Plastic Surgeon

Why am I hurting so badly?

Well it's a good thing you have sensitivity towards aspirin, ibuprofen or the like.  Because you do not want to take any of those things after surgery as they thin your blood and increase the risk of bleeding within the breast pocket.  Staying with acetaminophen is a good call.  Don't feel like a "big baby".  Pain is a very individual thing.  Some people just don't have the tolerance for pain like others.  The good thing here is it will not last forever.  Every day you should feel better and  better.  Unfortunately you just need to hang in there. 

All my best to you.

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Handling Pain Post Breast Aug

Thank you for your question! Everyone handles pain in different ways! Never compare someone else's pain level to your own.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board CertifiedPlastic SurgeonChicago Hoffman Estates Oakbrook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for submitting your question. Everyone has a different threshold for pain. You can see from your photos that your skin is stretched. Pain will be worsened with muscle spasm.  Contact your Plastic Surgeon and discuss your concerns.  There are other pain medication alternatives and muscle relaxants that can help.  Best wishes