Can I have a higher bridge and pointed tip? What can be done to my natural aesthetic of my nose? (Photo)

I am of Filipino descent. I notice fellow of my filipino/Asian members have the same concern. Thank you in advance for your time !

Asian Rhinoplasty

Your concerns are very commonly voiced by patients looking into Asian rhinoplasty. By increasing the height of the bridge and tip of your nose with your own cartilage, it can give you a more refined and narrow appearance from the front while giving you a more attractive profile. Cartilage grafts and suture-techniques can be used to increase the projection and refinement of your nose.

Can I have a higher bridge and pointed tip? What can be done to my natural aesthetic of my nose?

Dear jaller

A nasal dosal graft including a radix graft after osteotomies can enhance your nasal dorsum and improve both the shape of your nose as well the look of your overall face. Your tip will likely need better support in the form of a strut and tip shaping maneuvers. This combination can bring your entire nose into balance with the rest of your face.
Look for an experienced and well trained Plastic Surgeon, see more than one consult and make a well informed decision.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Aesthetic nose

Making your nose less wide and with a higher bridge would certainly give your nose a better appearance. That can be done with a  rhinoplasty. Cartilage grafting could be done to help with the bridge of your nose and osteotomies can be used to reduce the width of your nose. 

Sandy Sule, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Your nasal bridge can be constructed from your rib cartilage to help enhance your definition. Also cartilage grafts can be used for the tip of your nose and to your columella  to increase your nasal tip projection. Consult a board-certified plastic surgeon when you are ready for a change. 

Rhinoplasty Candidate

Dear Jaller, I believe with osteotomies you could narrow the bridge and elevate the dorsum, a cartilage graft in the radix along with slight rotation of the tip would provide a very nice balance to your profile. Consultation with digital imaging will provide you the ability to see the proposed result and how these changes should address your concerns. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Higher Bridge and Pointed Tip

Your bridge, especially the radix, can be augmented with diced cartilage and fascia. The tip can be narrowed using sutures and possibly cartilage grafts while reducing the flaring nostrils. All of this will give you a more refined, narrower, stronger nose.   

The Ethnic Asian Rhinoplasty

The Asian nose has thicker skin over the bridge than a caucasian nose and therefore  will generally accommodate  a silicone implant to augment the bridge.  Bulbosity and loss of tip projection can be treated by a small piece of your own septal cartilategraft to the columella,,trimming the lower lateral cartilages, and narrowing the alar base . A closed rhinoplasty is my approach.  Good Luck

Michael Eisemann M.D.
Houston, Texas
Plastic surgery and Facial Plastic Surgery

Asian rhinoplasty

There are many maneuvers which can improve your nasal aesthetic. You may benefit from an in person evaluation by a board certified facial plastic surgeon with expertise in Asian rhinoplasty.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Higher bridge and pointed tip

Your requests are quite common in ethnic rhinoplasty.  Asians have more of a platyrrhine nose or flatter nose compare with Caucasian noses.  Judging from your pictures, you would need to graft the middle 3rd of the nose (higher bridge) and bring in the side wall of the nose (reposition the bone) to narrow the middle 3rd giving the "illusion" of a higher bridge as well from the frontal view.  The pointed tip is usually achieved by reshaping and suturing of the nasal tip cartilages to increase projection and rotation of the tip.  I strongly recommend seeing a surgeon who has the capability of computer morphing your pictures to show you what this can potentially look like.

Johnny Mao, MD, FACS
Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon