What happened with my previous experience with dermal fillers (Belotero?)

I'd like to get dermal filler for my under eyes again for that hollow look but my first and last experience left me disappointed.The product barely lasted a month and there was a small bruise under my left eye that went away in a week, within a few weeks it appeared the product had pulled to the bottom of that same eye(not the other) so that when I smiled there was a long tubular puffed up area. How can I avoid this outcome?

Belotero undereye results

Both Belotero and Restylane are great treatment options for tear trough and undereye dark circle treatment. That being said, tear trough injections require advanced injection technique and are rather difficult injections. Since Belotero did not last very long for you, I might consider Restylane in the future. It is important that you see an experienced injector. Over injection can leave you with a result much worse than the dark circle you may have prior to the treatment.

Belotero For Under Eye

Under eye injections are one of the most difficult and most dangerous to perform. Belotero is my filler of choice for this procedure because it has less tendency towards post procedure swelling. Nonetheless it is important that the area appear under corrected initially because it will absorb a certain amount of water and fill even more. Most importantly you must see someone with experience injecting this area.

Anthony J. Wilson, MD
Portsmouth Physician

Belotero Under the Eyes

Belotero Balance and Restylane can be used under the eyes in the tear trough. The skin under the eyes is very thin and often swells quickly and often can be bruised after the injection. It is possible that you need more filler under the eye that started to bruise.   Also there is a possibility that the filler may either be too superficial or moved.  It can be easily dissolved with Hylenex if it is causing a budge or tubular area that you do not like.

Jean Keamy, MD
Westborough Ophthalmologist

Under eyes conundrum

The under eyes is one of the hardest areas to treat effectively with filler
products. The tissue in this area is very thin, there is an abundance of blood
vessels, and the way the musculature moves during animation can affect the
placement of the product. Hyaluronic acid fillers like Belotero Balance and
Restylane are best utilized due to the decreased water attraction leads to less
puffiness after the initial swelling goes down. I have found that  using
small aliquots injected deep under the muscle near the bone is effective at
decreasing the hollowing without causing this “long tubular puffy area” you
describe. Patient expectation needs to be thoroughly discussed to ensure the
treatment is capable of providing the best results. Patient follow-up at the
2-3 week mark is imperative to ensure final result is achieved. Please visit a
board-certified plastic surgeon for further assessment and treatment.

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

Cannulas can be used to limit complications with fillers under the eyes.  Please see an expert for treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.