Had gynecomastia surgery 10 days ago and my left areola looks great but my right one looks the same and I'm concerned.

I'm 17 and in good shape so I didn't need lypo I just had the excision with direct removal of the gland. I'm really happy with the left side of my chest because the areola is now completely flat and looks great. The right areola looks exactly the same as it did before surgery. My surgeon did a good job from what I saw he took almost the same amount of gland tissue out of both sides. I had him check for fluid build up but there wasn't any. Do I need a steroid injection or possibly a revision?

Too Soon for Steroid Injection or Revision

Dear burly1017,

I explained to all our patients that whenever we do bilateral surgery, one side is always going to bruise more, hurt more and swell more. That is likely the case for you as well. I think it would be a mistake to intervene with a steroid injection so early on. You need to wait at least three or four months to assess whether a steroid injection would help. Doing the injection too early could result in an overcorrection and leave you with a depression under that nipple and areola.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Patience is the key at this time

It is early. Be patient.  Follow up with your plastic surgeon.  It easily takes 4-6 months for final results to evolve.

Vasdev Rai, MD

10 Days Following Gynecomastia Surgery

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.