Had a gynecomastia procedure on April 1st, 2015. I have not seen much of a results. Any suggestions?

I have not seen much of a results. I'm scared that what I see right now is the end result. Like my nipples still make this breast like figure when I sit or if I bend down and it bothers me because I still can't be without a shirt. My surgeon said there's nothing to worry about because this takes almost a year but I've seen so many surgeons responses saying definite results occur with in 6 to 8 weeks max 6 months. I feel like my surgeon is giving me the go around, I hope that's not case.

When are Results Noticeable after a Male Breast Reduction

Seeing the #final results can take some time as each breast commonly heal at different rates of each other. Also, your incisions will go through a maturation process after #gynecomastia surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.  In the future, any #indentations may be addressed with fat #grafting or #cosmetic #fillers if you are  deemed a good fit.If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Seek a Second Opinion

Dear j1993C,

Photographs are not necessary in order to realize something needs to be done. The final result with gynecomastia surgery should be evident at six months. Either too much glandular tissue was left behind or you have developed scarring underneath the nipple areola complex. If the chest looked perfectly flat in the first postoperative visit, then one would assume it is scar tissue buildup. A steroid injection into that tissue often times is all that is required to suppress it and reverse it. On the other hand, if you have never seen a flat chest, there is a good chance incomplete resection was done. You would be wise to seek a second opinion with a surgeon that does a lot of gynecomastia surgery.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Do I Need Revision Surgery?

Hi j1993c,

Thanks for the post. I'm sorry to hear that your results have not met your expectations. However, without a photo or description of what procedure you had, it is difficult to advise online. I would recommend you seek a second opinion if you are not satisfied with your surgeon's responses. At 4 months, although you may still not have final results, you should be seeing progressive improvement.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Gynecomastia procedure on April 1st, 2015. I have not seen much of a results.

Thank you for sharing your experience.  This is difficult  to answer without viewing before and after photographs.  It takes weeks to see results and final results 6-12 months.  Discuss with your surgeon your concerns.  Best wishes.

I am sorry to hear about your concerns. Unfortunately, without physical examination, online consultants will not be of much specific help to you. Given your concerns, it may be  necessary to seek second opinion consultations to provide you with good information and/or meaningful reassurance. Make sure that you are seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Best wishes.