What do I do about gap at the "t" intersection after mastopexy? (Photo)

I just got my surgical tape/glue removed yesterday (2 weeks post-op for mastopexy) and the area under one breast at the "t" intersection is gapping and I'm scared it isn't healing properly. Should my doctor be applying new stitches or anything to it? Is this a normal occurrence? I'm scared of the potential scar.

T Intersection Wound

Thank you very much for your question.

Having a little breakdown at that area isn't uncommon.  As long as the implant isn't exposed, it should go on to heal just fine.  I would follow along with your plastic surgeon VERY closely to make sure you are doing the proper wound care.  This should heal in on its own.  Applying new stitches at this point probably won't help very much.  Best of luck!

Chicago General Surgeon

Not unusual

Dear Seashell_TX,

It is not unusual to have very superficial dehiscence at the site you have pointed at. As long as the implant is not exposed, local wound care should help it. I would avoid over treating it with peroxide, etc. as those things kill germs, but they kill the healing cells as well. Your doctor will not want to restitch it because that will simply apply more tension to the wound edges and start the process all over again in a negative way.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Breast lift incision closure

Thank you for your question and photo. This is a common area for delayed closing and typically will heal well on it's own with conservative wound care. Completely closing would not likely be advised but keeping the area clean and lightly covered is usually all that is required. Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon for specific instructions and assessment.

All the best

What do I do about gap at the "t" intersection after mastopexy?

From the photo it appears it will heal on it's own. It looks superficial. See your surgeon for recommendations on wound care. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Healing after mastopexy

You really cannot typically close something like this with new stitches, it can only make things worse. Areas like this have to heal in on their own but there are many things that can be done to minimize the risk of developing an infection and to promote more rapid healing. Follow your surgeons instructions carefully and this area will likely heal in without even the need for a scar revision. 

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

Wound gap at T junction from mastopexy

Thank you for your question. It is not unusual to have some wound healing issues at this place. Most of the time they heal fine with local wound care. If you have zany implants, you have to make sure in deep infection. Please talk to your PS and follow his instructions

Thank you for your question.  Generally this area at the trifurcation point of an anchor incision is most susceptible to poor healing and it is not uncommon for there to be some limited healing problem.  However, this usually is limited and heals on its own with proper wound care.  Be sure to discuss this issue with your surgeon and to get specific instructions regarding wound care.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question and photograph.  At this point in your recovery, it will take time to allow your body to heal this wound from the inside out.  Due to its overall size it likely will not compromise your long-term results but I would speak with your surgeon to discuss specific wound care instructions. Hope this helps.

Gap at the "t" intersection after mastopexy?

Generally speaking, the most problematic area when it comes to healing after breast lifting surgery, is the area that you describe between the vertical and horizontal incision lines. Sometimes, this may consist of a small amount of drainage; sometimes there may be delayed healing/wounds that require dressing changes.
Given your concerns, best to follow up with your plastic surgeon for accurate assessment, advice, and/or reassurance. In the meantime, keep the area covered/clean with a nonstick sterile dressing.

Local wound care is needed

Thank you for your question and photograph. It is not unusual for there to be a little skin breakdown and the intersection of the two breast lift scars with a breast lift or lift with implants as this is the area with the most tension and least blood supply of the skin flaps. A small breakdown is not uncommon and the best treatment is local wound care; wash the area with soap and water and maybe with some dilute peroxide, then apply an open mesh gauze, taping only lightly.  Do not use a nonstick gauze as it will not absorb the drainage.  Change the dressing twice per day. If you are a smoker, STOP! No secondary smoke as well as the nicotine will reduce the blood supply even more.  Be sure to see you surgeon.  Your implants are generally not at risk as most surgeons will make their deep incision for the implants away from this area. Your surgeon cannot suture it closed as this will cause an infection. Good luck. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon