2 year Botox user (loved it) but stopped treatments after five sessions due to side effects. Where can I go from here?

Areas treated forehead, brow lift and between the brows. The first treatment left me with a sharp dull headache behind my eyes and across my forehead and puffy eye lids. I dismissed the symptoms as a "tolerable" reaction as I truly loved the overall results (vanity). Unfortunately, over time I had an ongoing dull headache, blurred vision, uncontrollable itch and red-hot-rash. A year later my forehead is thin, dehydrated, continues to itch and has deep expression lines. Where can I go from here?

Dysport and Xeomin Are Excellent Alternatives to Botox

If you are having a reaction to Botox, you could try Dysport or Xeomin. The latter might be the best choice for you, as it contains no other ingredients than the neuromodulator botulinum toxin A. The most common reason for your symptoms is a substandard injection technique. If too much is used or if it is placed too deeply or diluted to excess, the problems you are experiencing may occur. That is why it is so important to consult an expert injector like a board certified dermatologist with years of experience.  

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox alternatives

Thank you for your question muzala. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. It is difficult to make an assessment without a recommendation. But treatments such as fillers and laser resurfacing are also available to treat wrinkles. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox Alternative--Try Xeomin or Dysport, Radiofrequency, Co2, Belotero

Alternatives would be other neuromodulators such as xeomin or dysport. Fractional radiofrequency or co2 laser can help this area as well.  Belotero filler into the lines maybe be an alternative. I recommend getting a formal evaluation with a cosmetic dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox side effect

Although possible Botox allergic problems are exceedingly rare.  if you and your doctor are sure this is the case then fillers can be used along with resurfacing. Be sure you are seeing a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist