Will FEP BCBS of Texas cover a BR; as well as hospital stay due to not having someone to help me after surgery? (photo)

I am 5'3 and I weight 180lbs. Right now my bra size is a 40H and I'm sure they have grown. I believe I need a reduction? I would like to have this surgery and then recover in the hospital for a day or two due to not having someone to pick me up or assist with needs after the surgery. Does insurance cover this service?

Breast reduction and insurance

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos, it appears that you would be a good candidate for a breast reduction.  However, you would need to meet your insurance plan's prerequisites for a breast reduction and get pre-authorization through your plastic surgeon.  Since breast reduction is an outpatient procedure, insurance will not cover a hospital stay.  Some plastic surgeons provide an overnight nursing service for a small additional fee. Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

BCBS and Breast Reduction

You would need to find a cosmetic surgeon provider that accepts BCBS first. They would then evaluate you and send a letter on your behalf to BCBS asking for approval. Then it is a waiting game to see if your insurance would cover the surgery. Expect to still have some out of pocket expenses. BCBS is not going to cover a hospital stay due to a breast reduction being an outpatient procedure. Some offices provide overnight care for a fee. Best of Luck. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon