How much should it vary for breast augmentation?

My SIL and I are both getting breast augmentation in the same office. She is getting 350ccs, moderate plus and 1 crescent lift. I'm getting 400ccs, high profile and bilateral crescent lifts. Both under muscle and silicone implants. Her OR fee is 600 and my OR fee is 1200. Would like to understand the reason for the large difference in the fee. Anesthesia fee for both is $500. Thank-you!

Price differences

It sounds like you are both having essentially the same surgeries and therefore your fees should be the same.  The financial person at your surgeons office can explain to you any differences that may or may not exist. By the way, the facility fees that you have been quoted are certainly quite reasonable, for what you are having done seeing as how they must cover the costs of the facility, the personnel, the medications and surgical supplies.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Speak to your plastic surgeon about costs

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, you should speak to your plastic surgeon. Online consultants are not the appropriate source of information for you; your plastic surgeon should be your resource when it comes to pricing concerns.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

I think you will need to discuss this matter with the office manager to see why there is a discrepancy.  Sometimes there is a reason but sometimes it may just be an error and needs to be addressed by the office staff.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Cost of Breast Augmentation

Hello, and thank you for your question.

It seems it may be a calculation error.  Call your patient consultat and bring it to her/his attention.  They may be willing to honor the lower price.

Dr. Obeng

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Difference in fees for breast augmentation

It can be difficult to understand all the different fees for surgery. In our on-site surgery facility, the OR fees are based on the type of procedure as well as time needed to perform the surgery. You definitely should ask your surgeon's patient coordinator or whoever you scheduled your surgery with to clarify the fees and the breakout of all the fees. Different practices also may itemize different items under an OR fee---does this include supplies such as pain pumps, garments, etc?  Typically a quote for surgery will itemize each type of fee and what is included. Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

What seems to be the same may not be.

You state that your friend id getting the lift on one side and you are getting the lift on both sides. That may be the difference. Asked you surgeon's office about it or you may cost your 'friend' another $600 .

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Fees have multiple factors

Thanks for your question. I can appreciate the frustration. The only differences seem to be the type of implant (HP vs MPP) and bilateral vs. unilateral crescent lift. It could be that the implants are more expensive at your particular center for HP vs. MPP.Formerly this was the case. but now all smooth round implants are priced the same. It could also be that the level of difficulty and time associated with your procedure is greater for whatever reason. It's not unreasonable for you to inquire. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Cost of Breast Implant Surgery

If you are both having the same operation, the cost should be the same.  Please contact the finance manager of the the office to explain the situation.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Best to clarify directly with your chosen plastic surgeon's office. It may simply be an error in calculation.  Best wishes.

Why is there a difference in cost in similar procedures?

Thank you for your question.  This is an issue you will need to direct to the facility where you are having your procedures.  It may be that they are adding time for the bilateral crescent lift.  It seems a significant amount if that is the reason.  It may be just a clerical error. Good Luck. 

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon