Fat transfer to eyes. Will I have enough fat if I am thin?

I am only interested in fat transfer to my eyes after an over agressive removal of fat from blepharoplasty. My question is...will I have enough fat for transfer if I am thin? I don't diet at all...just always been thin and petite. I am 5"2' and weigh around 102. I wouldn't think I would need much if only rejuvenatin the eyes....

Facial Fat transfer for thin people

First, I'm sorry that an over-aggressive blepharoplasty left you with hollowed eyes. Facial fat grafting actually requires very little fat. I have performed facial fat grafting on the faces of athletes and models with very, very little fat. It is always important to take your time when selecting a plastic surgeon for fat grafting, but especially important when you have all ready had a surgery.  Fat grafting to correct over aggressive fat removal fat removal can work for both the under eye area and the upper eyelid, in the brow, eyelid junction. When expertly performed, fat grafting will look very very natural and can restore a healthy, youthful and vibrant appearance.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Enough fat

Thank you for the question and you are right you will not need much and I am certain your surgeon will be able to find what he needs

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Will I have enough fat if I am thin?

Thank you for a great question and for sharing your experience.  I am sorry that your results were not what you wanted.  Fat transfer under the eye requires only a small volume, so likely you will be a candidate even though you are thin.  I hope you find this helpful. Best wishes!

Consult with a Board Certified Fellowship Trained Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Fat Transfer in Thin Patient

It only takes very little fat for an adequate treatment to the eyes, even a thin person.  Your middle thighs may prove to be the best donor site. Extraction from your abdomen may leave uneven texture.

Best of Luck!

Windell Davis Boutte, MD

Windell C. Davis-Boutte, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat Transfer in Thin People

You are correct, it doesn't take much fat to inject around the eyes. Adequate fat donor sites for this area should not be a problem regardless of being thin. 

Fat transfer to lower lids

You don't need a lot of fat for a transfer to the lower lids.  Most people have some fat - either in the thighs or stomach.  The exceptions are people who exercise a tremendous amount and have very little body fat.  It is tough to harvest, and often the consistency is very fibrous so it is not optimal for transfer.  If you have some fat that you can pinch you should have enough for the transfer.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Even thin people have fat stores

You are correct in recognizing that very thin people can be a challenge for harvesting fat. In your case you suggest that you might be a candidate for periorbital fat transfer, which would generally require at least 10 mL of prepared fat to achieve results that are lasting and effective. Of course, your specifics would be decided during an in-person consultation with a fat transfer specialist. 

Even very thin people have fat stores that can be accessed. In those who haven't had these areas manipulated by liposuction, the medial knee, medial thighs, suprapubic region, and axilla are all areas where hand micro harvesting can yield harvest volumes in the 10+mL range for each of those areas.   

Your best bet is to visit with a specialist and be examined to consider these harvest locations. As long as a small amount exists in these areas (and they almost always do), then you can still undergo successful fat transfer to the periorbital region. 

Good luck!

Tanuj Nakra, MD, FACS
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon