Eyelid Surgery or Eyebrow lift? (Photo)

32 year old female. I have always had tiny eyes, but lately I look exhausted even with a healthy diet and plenty of sleep. Would I benefit from a eyelid surgery? I have a consultation next week, as this is my face I would like as much knowledge as possible before my appointment. Kind regards!

You could have very nice results non surgically with fillers and botox.

The suggestion of having an esthetician shape your brows is also a good one. I do not think you necessarily need eyelid surgery.  Remember these surgeries do have side effects.  Try not to get yourself wrecked with surgery which seems all too easy to do.  I encourage you educate yourself regarding your options.

Small eyes

Before considering any surgical options, I would suggest going to a well-respected and experiences cosmetologist/esthetician to explore the simple solution of reshaping and balancing the appearance of your eyebrows ( getting more definition to the lateral aspect of your brows). You also have a very high forehead which appears to be disproportional to the rest of face from what we can see on your photo. I would also suggest going to your hair stylist to explore a different style which could harmonize your forehead with the rest of your face. Having explored those options, then I would suggest an in-person consultation with a facial plastic/plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Robert J. Smyth, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery

Looking at the one photo it is hard to tell if you would benefit from surgery.  I think possibly some botox and a laser resurfacing may give you the improvement you want without surgery.  But a full examination by a respected oculoplastic surgeon would be the nest way to know if surgery could give you what you are looking for, regarding improving your appearance and looking less tired.

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid surgery or Brow lift

Blepharoplasty also known as eyelid lift, eyelid surgery, eye bag removal and eyelid reshaping remove excess loose skin of the upper and/or lower eyelid with or without fat removal or reshaping. The aim is for a fresher and more youthful appearance of the eyes.Brow lifts are performed under general anesthetic meaning most patients can go home after the procedure the same or the next day. The surgery involves placing several short incisions in the hairline. Using an endoscope (a narrow light telescope and camera, through which the procedure is performed with small special instruments) the forehead skin is lifted and repositioned and fixed into your desired place.
These treatments can also be combined to give a youthful, natural appearance whilst creating your desired look
I would advice researching and seeing a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Factors to consider

Hello Brooke! There are lots of factors to consider here.  From your picture you provided, I do not recommend Blepharoplasty.  A brow lift would "open your eyes", but you appear to have a high hairline, so unless you have a pretrichal lift, your hairline will move back---even endoscopic lifts will do that!  Because of your age, I would try a mild chemical lift with a neurotoxin like Botox.  Best of luck!

Jeffrey Joseph, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery or Eyebrow lift

The amount of excess skin on your eyelids themselves is very small and removing that will likely not produce much of a change. Lifting your eyebrows can open the area around your eyes more. The trade off with the brow lift is looking different, a little surprised in some people's minds

Julio Garcia, MD

Dear brooke94551, You do not look like a candidate for upper lid blepharoplasty which main purpose is to remove excess skin and/or fat that is hooding the upper eyelids. I do not see that in these photographs. A brow lift could be performed to provide more space between the upper lid and the brow opening up the eyes so you do not feel like you look tired or angry, however this would be determined with an in office consultation.  An aesthetician who specializes in eyebrows could add some arching and possible color to your brows giving a more defined appearance to them. I would not leap into anything and do your research well and have several opinions. An example of a 32 year old browlift case can be seen in the video above and more photos on the link below. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Eyelid surgery versus eyebrow lift

To make a determination about the difference between eyelid surgery and eyebrow lift surgery usually requires an in-person examination and consultation. A brow lift is performed for patients who have low set eyebrows. The  placement of the incision can either raise or lower the hairline. The primary goal on upper eyelid surgery is to remove hooded and excess skin the touching the eyelashes. For more information and many  before and after examples of both procedures, please see the link and the video below

Eyelid surgery vs. Brow

Hello.  You may benefit from eyelid surgery, as well as brow lift.  Your photo shows some mild eyelid skin hooding, and the brows may be right at the orbital rim.  The ideal feminine brow should be slightly above the rims.  However, the best way to determine if you would benefit from either of these surgeries is an in office exam since it's very important the surgeon feels your brow and eyelid skin.  Take care.

Kenneth Yu, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery or Eyebrow lift?

Fullness of the upper lids can be cosmetically improved with a number of surgical options depending on individual anatomy and desired outcome: an artistically performed conservative upper blepharoplasty, a repositioning of the brow if it is low, or a combination of both.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do based on a limited photo and more importantly without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest.  Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.
Robert Singer, MD FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon