Does it appear I would need an extended arm lift or just a basic arm lift? (photo)

I recently had an online consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and I was surprised when he recommended an extended arm lift, can't see the side of my chest. To me it appears that I just need a basic arm lift and I would also appreciate an average cost of both procedures. (I am aware it varies state to state, city to city, but still I am curious..). The surgeon gave me an estimated price of 9800 to 10100...does that include anesthesia, meds, stay at the hospital??

Regular or extended arm lift

Hello and thank you for your question. There is no way to tell if you need an extended without seeing your back. Extension can actually go in 2 directions to the wrists or lateral chest. When to the lateral chest most of us call it a J_plasty.
I personally charge the same for any. I assume his charges are for everything. 
Mine happen to be. $5800-$6000.
Peter Fisher M.D 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift - extended or standard?

Thank you for your question about your arm lift.

• Yours is a very reasonable question.
  • Your surgeon can't be sure if you need an extended arm lift without examining your chest.
  • But the excess skin right up by the axilla suggests it is likely.
  • Your surgeon's price probably includes all costs - but it is isn't spelled out in writing, ask for a written proposal so you know for sure.
  • The price seems in line for those in Dallas.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

And extended arm lift?

In arm lift can be extended onto the chest wall or to the forearm. The photograph does not reveal either of these areas. In the end, it mostly depends what you're desires and expectations are. There is no reason to extend surgery unless you are very eager to improve those other sites.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift cost varies

Costs vary from surgeon to surgeon. I charge $ 8300 that includes everything except for prescriptions.  However in situations like yours I usually do not recommend arm lifts. Scarring associated with arm lift is hard to justify in your case ( based on photos)
Consider liposuction.  

Vasdev Rai, MD

With respect to the price, my fee is less than what you quoted.  You can have the arm life performed for less than that price. Select a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of body contouring each year, has great reviews, and has great before and after pictures.

Does it appear I would need an extended arm lift or just a basic arm lift?

The arm lifting procedure is a great procedure to remove excess skin and adipose tissue of the upper arms. However, this procedure carries a major drawback: difficult scarring that may require scar revision (more so, in my experience, then other procedures).
I have tried placement of the resulting scars in the bicipital groove (between the biceps and triceps muscles) as well as a long the inferior–lower aspect of the upper arm. I have found higher patient satisfaction with the latter approach. If the excision can be planned such that the scar falls along the frontal aspect of the lower arm, then the scar may be visible only when the patient raises his/her arms.
As with many plastic surgical procedures, the planning of the incisions and resulting scar line is critical. However, even with attention to detail, the resulting scars may not be ideal and revisionary surgery is often necessary to improve the appearance (for example, the width) of the scars.

When it comes to costs of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure (quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provide… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find some average costs of surgery listed on this website and on individual plastic surgeons' websites as well.
In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. You may also find the attached link, dedicated to arm lifting surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Arm lift

Thank you for your question and photo.  While it appears that you need an arm lift to improve the appearance of your arms, it is nearly impossible to say if you need an extended lift without more photos or more importantly, an in-person evaluation.  If you have done your part though in choosing a surgeon who is board certified in plastic surgery and is an expert in the arm lift procedure, I suggest trusting in his or her expert opinion regarding what would be best and realistic for you.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Thank you for your question.  It's hard to get an accurate assessment when doing an online consultation as there's no substitute for an in-person evaluation with a physical exam.  An "extended" arm lift could be an arm lift with the scar extending towards the elbow or the trunk.  It depends on the extent of excess loose skin.  A limited scar arm lift would have the scar restricted near the arm pit area and would be considered for those with less excess skin.  In your case, you appear to be a good candidate for an arm lift +/- liposuction.  To be certain about the extent of the scar, you would require a physical exam.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Online consultation is worthless, It seems you had no confidence in the advise of the online consuly and did not get all your questions answered.

80% of diagnosis on online is wrong.
Brachioplasty is common enough of a procedure, find a reputable board certified plastic surgeon in your area, get a real consult, get to know your surgeon establish a patient doctor relationship then go through surgery.