Extreme pain and swelling in left breast only. Is it highly likely that the surgery went wrong? (Photos)

I had my implants inserted today. 445cc inspire high profile round and smooth. I woke up after my surgery with extreme pain in my back, shoulder blades, arms and breast. Once I got home I noticed that my left breast is higher than the right and its bulging. It hurts really bad. The right side doesn't hurt. I am icing the left side now and its slightly helping. The right breast looks great Im also getting burning nerve pain in my back near my left shoulder blade

One sided swelling after breast augmentation

Hi.  When one breast is much bigger than the other right after the surgery, it may represent a hematoma, which is a collection of blood in the pocket created for the implant.  This is something serious enough to contact your plastic surgeon so he/she can evaluate you, and then determine what type of treatment is necessary.  You should do this right away!

Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Extreme pain and swelling in left breast only. Is it highly likely that the surgery went wrong?

You should contact your surgeon and be evaluated. This may be a hematoma and may require surgical treatment. 

Possible hematoma

Thanks for your question and the photos. Sorry for your problems. Based on your preop/postop pics your surgeon should make sure that you don't have a hematoma. It is a large implant and sometimes the muscle can spasm more on one side than the other, so it may not need anything done. I'm more concerned that you could have an expanding hematoma and that would need to be taken care of ASAP. Worst case scenario is that you'd have to return to the OR and have the hematoma removed and the blood vessel treated. Should not affect your long term result. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Painful breast after augmentation

from you photo it appears that you may likely have a hematoma (bleeding in the breast implant pocket ) after surgery.  You should see your PS asap to fix this issue.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast pain more in one breast

Please call your surgeon ASAP to discuss your concern.  One side being more swollen or hurting significantly more at least needs to be discussed with him/her to make sure everything is okay, and best of luck.  

One sided pain after breast aug

Thank you for your question. Unusual one-sided pain after breast aug need to be evaluated. It is hard from your pictures to tell what is going on. I recommend to talk to your PS for evaluation as early as possible.

One sided pain and swelling

Thank you for your question. Once sided swelling and pain in the early postoperative period following breast augmentation typically raises the concern for bleeding within the pocket where the implant is. It is very important to make your surgeon aware of this and he or she will want to see you ASAP.  Call your surgeon and insist upon being seen today.

Remember that no two breasts ever look the same or heal at the same rate. Swelling is common after surgery but if there is a huge discrepancy in the pain/swelling between the two sides, best to let your operating surgeon know ASAP so he or she can evaluate you in person. Good luck!

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your breast augmentation.  Pain on one side especially if you feel intense pressure and swelling could indicate bleeding.  I urge you to contact your plastic surgeon and not rely on Internet advice.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important to address any post-operative concerns with your plastic surgeon.  You are still early on in your recovery. Throughout your recovery period you may experience different sensations such as tingling, burning or intermittent shooting pain.  These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue stretch to accommodate your implants, and as sensory nerves heal.  Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients, eventually the swelling will go down and your breasts will drop into their pockets, sometimes you heal quicker in one breast than the other and one implant can even drop sooner than the other one.  If one implant is still sitting too high, the use of a breast binder and a foam wedge is beneficial to add downward pressure to that breast. I would begin to perform your breast massages once your doctor clears you to. Your doctor may also prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help with the swelling. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science