Elevated blood pressure; I'm scheduled for a TT. What can I do to keep myself calm?

My blood pressure usually ranges in the 130/85 range but it seems to increase at Drs office. I'm scheduled for TT and I am worried that my anxiety will increase my blood pressure too much. Sometimes it can be quite dramatic.. maybe 150/90 What can I do to keep myself calm? I've been very anxious about my upcoming procedure and have checked bp and it's been a bit elevated. I can feel the anxiety.

Elevated Blood Pressure Due to Anxiety

Make sure to consult with your surgeon regarding your anxiety. In some instances, surgeons may prescribe medication to keep BP under control. It is imperative that your blood pressure is at a reasonable level going into surgery. I would also advise consulting with your primary care physician, in case the high BP is caused by something other than anxiety.

Elevated Blood Pressure before Surgey

Stress can really increase blood pressure. Sometimes it's only anxiety, but sometimes it represents undiagnosed essential hypertension. I'm not fond of diastolic (the second number) blood pressures of 85 in any preoperative patient. All the meditation in the world will not meaningfully reduce blood pressure in a hypertensive patient. The risks include heart damage, kidney damage, stroke, and of course bleeding. My suggestion is to see your primary care physician and ask if you need any medication to help control the blood pressure. By control, I don't mean only for surgery, but for your sustained health. Take your blood pressure seriously, it's not symptomatic, but it could seriously harm you. Lifestyle changes are important, but don't ignore a chronic condition.

Peter D. Geldner, MD

Pre-op Elevated BP due to Stress

Definitely let your surgeon know about the spike in your blood pressure. The two easiest things to do to control anxiety are: exercise and meditation. For the former, get your hear pumping. For the latter, try downloading a meditation app on your phone. There are lots of good ones out there. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Blood Pressure elevation

Thanks for your inquiry, it is normal to feel nervous before surgery.  Make sure your doctor knows your pressure has been trending up.  Also, please ask questions to your doctor or his/her staff about the concerns you still may have about surgery. Good Luck

Anxiety about TT, increased BP

Hi Pinkdede

TT is a big operation and it is normal to have anxiety.

My recommendation for you is to get some moderate exercise to get your heart pumping.  This will also help post op.  Try meditation maybe.

I recommend a visit to your primary doctor to be sure there isn't a medical reason for this that is unrelated to the stress.

Finally, I prescribe a Xanax for day of surgery.

All the best.

sek

Elevated blood pressure; I'm scheduled for a TT.

If you have true hypertension and it is untreated or treated but not well controlled, you should avoid elective surgery until your primary care physician has the problem under adequate control. If it is just anxiety induced, all plastic surgeons are familiar with that, as you might imagine, and your plastic surgeon can prescribe something to help with that in the day or two before surgery. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Anxiety before tummy tuck

Hi, Pinkdede

It is not uncommon for patients to be anxious and have elevated blood pressure pre-operatively.

However, please convey your anxiety and recent blood pressure to your plastic surgeon.  Your plastic surgeon may provide you with anti-anxiolytics and/or answer any concern that you may have prior to surgery so that he/she can allay your concern.

Please also know that tummy tuck is a very safe procedure when performed by an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon for the right candidate.

Best regards.

Elevated blood pressure and anxiety prior to surgery...

In regards to the hypertension, best to follow up with your primary care physician or internist (who is managing the hypertension);  see if these physicians can help you get the hypertension under better control.

Anxiety prior to surgery is very normal; its complete elimination is usually not possible. Assuming you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, other important "variables" such as anesthesia provider and surgery facility will be selected based on everyone's first priority: safety. This careful selection should give you some peace of mind that you will be safe around the time of surgery. Discuss your specific areas of concerns with your plastic surgeon who will be in the best position to help you calm your nerves.  

Generally, I ask my patients to try to be as calm as possible prior to surgery; this “calmness" tends to translate to a smoother postoperative course. You may be able to alleviate some pre operative anxiety with music, exercise, meditation, a glass of wine (if ok with your surgeon), and positive/objective focus on the long term outcome/benefits etc. prior to your procedure.

Generally, patients find that they did “get worked up for nothing” after their recovery is completed.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes.

Blood pressure and TT

Many people find their blood pressure goes up with doctors and hospitals. This is sometimes called white coat syndrome.

You should tell your plastic surgeon and anaesthesiologist if you have an elevated blood pressure. It may be helpful for you get some additional measurements in advance of your surgery so you can demonstrate that your blood pressure is normally OK. Then if when you go to hospital for your surgery and it is elevated the doctors will be reassured that it is anxiety rather than true hypertension.

A persisting blood pressure of 150/90 should be discussed with your primary care physician. However if you had such a blood pressure on admission for a TT I would not normally expect my anaesthetist to cancel surgery unless there were other factors.

With respect to anxiety you may find your primary care physician can help. If you have friends who have had a successful TT then talking to them may also help. If your PS has a nurse who can go through the procedure with you that may be useful.

I hope this is useful. Best wishes.

Jeremy S. Hurren, BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Plast)
Chichester Plastic Surgeon

High blood pressure and anxiety

Thank you for the question. My first recommendation would be to follow up with your primary care doctor. The reason for this is that there are many reasons for high blood pressure. Essential hypertension  is a true medical condition that can and needs to be treated with proper medication. A sporadic reading of high blood pressure may simply be due to anxiety which can be quite common especially during  a doctor's visit or prior to an anxiety provoking event such as surgery. The diagnosis of essential hypertension requires multiple blood pressure readings and cannot be diagnosed sporadically or on a one time basis. If your primary care doctor had diagnosed you with essential hypertension requiring medication, then I would like to see that your blood pressure is well controlled with medication prior to elective surgery. If it is secondary to anxiety then certain anxiolytic medications given typically at the time of surgery will help with that and keep your blood pressure down. In the end, you should always defer to your plastic surgeon's instructions, as this is simply my recommendation.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon