My earlobe scar is healing but I work in the sun. (photo)

I had earlobe reduction surgery two weeks ago, and now my main concern is that the scar will get worse because I'm exposed to the sun at work. Will sunblock be enough to prevent damage? How damaging is the sun after the skin closes? And do you think that sunken scar line could be smooth with treatment? If yes how long after surgery can be done?

Sunblock and scar cream to earlobe repair

It is recommended that you use sunblock to help with the healing process to prevent hyperpigmentation/hypopigmentation. Also try to keep the area covered as much as possible with a hat and or gauze with paper tape.  Steroid injections to the site can also be helpful with the swelling if there is any, check with your physician to see if and when those injections can be done. As for your scar line laser treatments, silicone gel sheet and compound cream can maximize the ultimate appearance of the scar.   

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar care after ear surgery

I would apply Plato's Scar Serum twice daily followed by sunscreen to reduce the risk of scarring. 
Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Scar

You are absolutely right about your concerns of sun exposure.  Any scar that is still healing is at risk of hypo (lighten) or hyper (darken) pigmentation.  As such, sun block is recommended to the area in addition to wearing a hat and such.  Also, you may consider completely covering up the area with a bandage when you have to be in the sun.  Finally, as time passes, you can expect the swelling to go down and the scar to look better.  Hang in there!

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

My earlobe scar is healing but I work in the sun.

Hello Francisco Galvez,

At two weeks there is still a good amount of swelling around the incisions to reduce your earlobe.  This gives more of an illusion that the scar is sunken because the surrounding tissue is more elevated with swelling.  This should improve with time.  As far as the sun and your healing, I tell my patients to keep the wounds covered until they turn white.  The reason is if it gets a tan, that area will always be darker than your surrounding skin.  Keeping it covered for the ear may mean using a sunscreen of at least SPF 30 once your physician clears that, and reapplying often.  Because it is the earlobe that was operated on, that is quite amenable to placing tape over the wound to act as more of a physical barrier to the sun's effects.  

I would recommend you follow up with your surgeon to get a better idea of when and what you can do to help with your earlobe scar.  

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar treatment

francisco, thank you for the picture! a couple things.  the way that incision was done, you can put sunscreen then wrap it with a little bandaid to help protect it from the sun.  that way you are getting a physical obstruction of the sunlight as well as topical.  as far as the effects of the sun, it will cause it to hyperpigment.  so you will end up with a darker line down the earlobe that can take a very long time to go down.  that is the main concern.  as the scar heals, over the next few weeks, it will start to flatten out and smooth itself.  you can improve it by using silicone gel twice a day and light massage over the scar tissue starting around week three post op. 

as far as any further refinements to be done to the scar, usually you have to wait a full six months to a year before any further touching up.  When in doubt, you can always see the doc that did your surgery.  ears look great! now its just a matter of taking care of them.  best of luck.  hope this helps. 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon