My Dr. wants to do a fat transfer w/ breast implant to increase size of 1 breast?Is it worth it, do I need it, pros/cons?(photo)

I will be getting my BA done this month with natrelle 410 anatomical 470cc done. I am 31 years old 5'10 aprox 140-145 lbs. 3 kids. My left breast is slightly samaller than my right. I was thinking 2 different size implants would maybe be good. When I talked with my PS he said he didn't like to use 2 different implant sizes but prefers to do fat grafting from my tummy with the implant to increase the fullness. But I have read so many negative reviews on fat transfers! Any thoughts/ help please!

My Dr. wants to do a fat transfer w/ breast implant to increase size of 1 breast? Is it worth it, do I need it, pros/cons?

Your photos show that you are a poor candidate for fat transfer to the breasts. You don't have enough fat in your abdomen. Even if you did, fat transfer with breast implants would not be my recommendation to improve volume asymmetry. With the a 470cc set of implants the relative volume difference after your breast augmentation will be marginal in relation to your new breast size. Thank you for sharing your photos and question. Best wishes.

Dr. Gregory Park

Fat transfer with augmentation

You have some asymmetry before surgery, and will likely have a little after whether you do the same size implants, different sized implants, or fat injections. The jump in sizes available for the implants you are considering may be more than you need, so your natural asymmetry may be less obvious. I would order a couple of sizes and use sizers during surgery to help me decide which way to go. Because you don't have a lot of donor fat I would consider waiting and only doing this later if needed.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your questions and photos.  I feel your not a good candidate for fat grafting (as you are too thin to get ample fat).  I recommend using the same sized implant as the difference is so very minor and the implant will provide most of your shape and size. 
Best Wishes!

Jamie Moenster, DO
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Finding the right surgeon

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another.
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for breast implants

Personal preferences

Each surgeon has his/her personal preferences. You need to feel comfortable with your decision.
In my own opinion, based on your photos, fat graft is not needed. You do not seem to have much fat on your tummy anyway.
Same size implants are needed.  Minor asymmetry can be left alone.
In my personal opinion subglandular implants, no larger than 375 cc would work best on your frame and existing breast attributes.   

Vasdev Rai, MD

My Dr. wants to do a fat transfer w/ breast implant to increase size of 1 breast?Is it worth it?

Thank you for your question.  In my practice, I prefer to address such differences in size by using different sized implants, not fat grafting.  The colleagues that I know do the same.  Because of the variable degree of resorption, fat grafting has comparatively less predictable results, although being a great option in certain situations.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast Asymmetry

You have a very small volume difference. It looks big to you now because both breasts are so small. By the time you put in the implants the difference will just about be unnoticeable, even if the implants are the same size. The cost of the fat graft will probably not be worth it. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast augmentation and fat grafting

Based on your photographs I think that likely your degree of breast asymmetry is fairly small. I would agree that it looks fairly difficult to harvest any significant volume of fat from the abdomen and I would tend to avoid fat grafting in the breasts anyway. For long-term safety I think it best to remain slightly uneven rather than taking on the risk of fat grafting.

Breast Augmentation surgery

Thank you for your question.  Truthfully, my first thought is- you need to feel 100% confident in your surgeon and make a decision together about your course of surgery.  I personally, do not do fat grafting for breast augmentation. I use two different implant sizes fairly regularly as most women, have slight discrepancies in size of each breast. Trust your instincts when making a decision regarding your breast surgery- if you are not comfortable, find another board certified surgeon more in line with what YOU want. Best of luck to you! 

Fred Hackney, MD

Fat transfer

You will do well with breast implants. No fat transfer.  You don't have any fat to harvest. I think the fat will not make any difference.  Look for a board certified plastic surgeon.

Andrew Cohen MD

Andrew T. Cohen, MD