Can I downsize from 34DD implant size to C implant size without a lift and it look nice?

I got implants about 5 years ago. I started out at an A cup and am now a 34 DD. I want to be a C cup as its more natural. I'm 5'7" and weigh about 130 llbs. I look like a porn star. it draws the wrong kind of attention. I don't want to have a lift as it leaves ugly scarring. how difficult would this procedure be, if at all possible?

Downsize without lift and look nice?

It's impossible to tell without an exam and proper evaluation.  Although it may look nice without a lift, it all depends on how much sagging skin there is.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Can I downsize implants without a lift

Hi and thank you for the question. In my experience most patients breasts don't look very good when you downsize significantly without some kind of lift. Patients who have implants in for a short period of time and have excellent tissue quality might get a reasonable result. But to go down two cup sizes after having implants for 5 years might not get you a great result. In my experience patients typically will elect to have better shaped breasts with scars than breasts with small scars but poor shape. One option for you would be to have the implants removed and let s few months go by while the tissue contracts. Then do another procedure to put in the smaller implants. Good luck to you. 

Dr West

Justin West, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Downsizing implants

Yes, it is usually possible to go down in size.  Sometimes, when doing this, the implant pockets need to be tightened.  Hopefully, your skin has not sagged too much since your current implants were put in.  As long as this isn't the case, then you shouldn't need a lift.  A face to face consultation would probably be the best place to start.  Best of luck!

Jonathan Heistein, MD

Jonathan Heistein, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Simply imposible to tell without physically seeing you for a consult. One would need to assess the quality of your skin and breast tissue. The ability to do this and not have a lift is going to be slim to none I would guess if you are truly as large as you say and want a cup size reduction. It likely would look like you have an implant with sage skin, but again, no clue unless I were to see you. Seek a board certified surgeon you trust with a good reputation and see what they say. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Hard to say without examination

Thanks for the great question. I'm sorry you'r not happy with the size of your breasts. One of the problems with downsizing your implants in that issue of excess skin. With the larger implants in place for the last 5 years, you may be excess skin which may need to be removed to give you the size and shape you're looking for. If done properly, the scars from a breast lift are maybe not as bad as you think. I would recommend seeing someone in your are who specializes in breast surgery to get their opinion. Ask to see some of their photos of breast lifts to see if they scars the patients have would be acceptable to you. Best of luck!

~Dr. Sieber

Downsizing breast implant surgery concerns…

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery Yes, you should be able to undergo downsizing of breast implants. Keep in mind as you are thinking about your goals that sometimes adjustment of the breast implant pockets (capsule adjustments) may be necessary to achieve the outcome you are looking for.   Whether or not the adjustment of the breast implant capsules and/or breast lifting will be necessary will mainly be dependent on your physical examination; specifically, factors such as the amount of redundant skin, quality of skin elasticity, and how much you choose to downsize will be important.   

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary (downsizing) breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "down a cup size” or "C up" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. 

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your chosen plastic surgeon to work with you in determining the best plan to achieve your goals.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary, specifically downsizing, breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.  

#breastimplants #breastrevision #breastimplantrevision

Cindy,

Its hard to tell without an exam and certainly without photos but I'll tell you at the least given your story and description you will probably need circumareolar incision and possible a lollipop incision.  The key to having subtle scars is multilayer closure and avoidance of absorbable skin sutures.  I tape all of my patients for 6 weeks after and start them on 3 months of biocorneum scar therapy.

Feel free to call or email us if you have any further questions.

Dr. Daniel Barrett
Barrett Plastic Surgery
9735 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 216
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Daniel Barrett, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Need for mastopexy after downsizing implant

Most patients that elect to reduce the size of their breasts by more than one cup size would benefit from a lift to remove and reshape loose skin that results from the loss of volume. If you have saline implants, you could have the implants deflated (using a needle and local anesthesia in the office) before your surgery to allow the skin and soft tissues to contract for several weeks in order to better determine if a lift is necessary and (if mastopexy is required), whether you would be a candidate for a limited or short scar procedure. Of course this is not possible with silicone gel implants.  Good luck with your planned procedure. 

Bruce K. Smith, MD

Implant exchange

Sorry you aren't happy with the results. Its really hard to comment without seeing either pictures or an exam.  It will depend on the elasticity of your skin and the position of your breasts.  A lift would be needed if you have excess skin or been stretched out too much.

Get evaluated by another plastic surgeon if you're not comfortable with your original surgeon to learn about what options you have. Good luck.

Khashayar Mohebali, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon