How many days should you typically take off from work for rhinoplasty surgery?

I plan on having my rhinoplasty done within the next few months. I was wondering how many days does one typically need to take off from work And when does bruising normally subside?

Time off from work after a rhinoplasty

In our practice, most patients take time off from work for approximately 10 to 14 days after a rhinoplasty procedure. Anticipate a cast being applied across the bridge of the nose for 6 to 7 days and visible bruising and swelling to last 10 to 14 days. There's also no strenuous exercise for two weeks, to prevent a nosebleed.

It all depends on degree of your rhinoplasty

Down time after rhinoplasty is dependent on the degree of rhinoplasty.  Typically, after cosmetic rhinoplasty patients can go back to work in 2-3 days as long as they do not feel self conscious about their splint.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Recovery after rhinoplasty

This is according to your working style. If you do office work, you can resume after 7 days when we take off the cast and remove stitches. If you work physically, then you need to inform your surgeon about how you work and plan your off days accordingly before your surgery. You should not do heavy physical activities or carry heavy things within 1 month of the surgery so you can plan your first 1 month according to the recovery period.

Kind Regards,

Dr. Turker Ozyigit 

Rhinoplasty: planning ahead, days off of work

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to change the shape of the nose for breathing or appearance.

This complex surgery does require some downtime. I recommend patients plan on 7-10 days. At 7 days the stitches and cast typically come off. You will still be restricted from lifting anything heavy for a few weeks, but desk work is fine if you're off pain medication. Depending on the amount of bruising, it will dissipate around 2 weeks after surgery. It may continue to have a less noticeable yellow-green tint and general swelling. The most important thing to do after surgery is to keep your follow-up appointments so your surgeon can keep you on track for a safe and happy result.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Returning to work after rhinoplasty?

Thank you for your question. Most patients return to work after just one week after the splints are removed and the major part of the swelling have gone pass. Although the healing process after rhinoplasty requires a special brand of patience as the nose swells and obscures the final form for some time. Best is to check with your chosen surgeon as he or she will know best what kind of work you´re getting done and the healing process of the same.  You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Rhinoplasty recovery

Typically patients will take off approximately 5 to 7 days of work. Including the weekends that could potentially give you 10 days of recovery. Patients look pretty good when the cast comes off around day 7. There is typically some light bruising at that time. Makeup can be worn to cover the yellowish bruising. Patients look socially acceptable at day 8 to 10. 

Jennifer Parker Porter, MD, FACS
Bethesda Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Many Days Off Work after Rhinoplasty

i'm asked this question everyday. You should ask your surgeon because it will depend on what kind of work you do, how private do you want to be, and exactly what will be done during your surgery. In general, I tell my patients to allow about 10 days,

Most patients are urged to take at least 1 week off from work, school, and social activities. Bruising and swelling around the eyes are to be expected and are quite variable. It usually starts to subside after 48-72 hours following the surgery. In most patients the bruising will have disappeared or can easily be concealed at 10-14 days, when the splint comes off. The tip of the nose may feel numb for 4-12 months. Most patients look socially acceptable at 10-14 days, but swelling continues to diminish over months. Patients may temporarily feel self-conscious about their appearance, but it is generally not noticeable to others after a couple of weeks. It may take up to one year for the nose to achieve its ultimate appearance.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. Recovery after rhinoplasty is pretty quick, going home the day of surgery. Most patients will have an external splint on for a week and may have bruising under the eyes. Patients will have moderate swelling for the first week and some minor swelling a few weeks more. Most of my patients that are able to work from home do so one to two days after surgery. Most wait until the splint is removed after a week to go to work, mainly because they don't want to go to work with a splint on. Hope this helps and remember to see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Evan W Beale, MD

Most people return to work one week after rhinoplasty

Most people return to work when the splint is been removed. That is usually one week. For most people return to work when the splint is been removed. That is usually one week. For people who do not worry if others know they have had surgery, many return to work still wearing the splint. That could be as soon as a couple days. 

For extremely private people or bad bruisers, I would recommend two weeks. 

See the attached webpage from my main website for a very good example of the early and ongoing healing process after rhinoplasty with a bad bruiser. 

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon