I'm three days post op BA, I'm just wondering when can I start sleeping on my sides again??

Sleeping on my back is uncomfortable to me but if I have to do it I will do it! Thanks! Sophie

Post Op Sleeping

Each Plastic Surgeon has their own preferred, post op protocols. I allow my patients to sleep on their sides if comfortable. You should ask your Plastic Surgeon what they recommend for you.

All the best

Sleeping On Side After BAM

Thanks for your question! You really should be able to sleep on your side immediately after BA. I advise my patients anecdotally to avoid sleeping on their stomach for a couple of weeks after surgery (usually they wouldn't want to anyway!), but sleeping on back or side shouldn't be a problem at all. Check with your own plastic surgeon to be sure; but if they recommend you don't, you should post that. I'd be curious. Best of luck to you!

Robert P. Schmid, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Sl

I advise my patients that if they are comfortable they can sleep in any position from the night of surgery on. I believe that my patients and the implants are not that fragile and that the sleeping position will not affect their results. Your surgeon may have a different philosophy, so it would be wise to check with your surgeon on his or her protocol. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." 

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

One week postop sleeping position

Dear sreddy91,

Every plastic surgeon will have a different opinion, but in my opinion after one week sleeping on your side is acceptable. I would not, though, sleep on your stomach for at least six weeks.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Sleeping on your side

Thanks for your inquiry, please call and ask your surgeon. I hope you have a speedy recovery and best of luck.  

Check with your surgeon

Early postoperative care questions should be addressed by your own surgeon. Each patient is different and each surgeon's approach is different.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Sleeping on sides

Thank you for your question. It is upto your surgeon and also depending on your healing. Please talk to your surgeon.

Contact your surgeon as he or she is monitoring your progress.  In general, most patients can sleep on their side within a few days following surgery as long as they wear a good sports bra.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon