Can I correct my tuberous breasts without implants? (Photo)

I never had a problem with having smaller breasts and I just don't like the idea of implants . The problem is that since I have tuberous breasts I always read that to correct them you must get implants. Do I really need implants? Could I just have the constricted breast tissue released? With an areola reduction with a Circumareolar Breast Lift?

Tuberous breasts

There is not much to be gained by labeling someone with tuberous breasts. An operative plan should be developed based on your anatomy. Whether that is breast implantation, lift or reduction, symmetrization or some combination of procedures, there is no particular point in stigmatizing your breast shape. A properly trained, skilled and ethical plastic surgeon can develop a plan based on your anatomy and give you the outcome that you desire. I see absolutely no point in diagnosing someone with tuberous breasts or restricted base deformity. Stigmatizing a young person can have an effect on the way they perceive the outcome, even if it is outstanding.

Can I correct my tuberous breasts without implants?

Thank you for your question.  Yes, you may correct your tuberous breasts without implants but you're breasts would remain the same size.  A mastopexy (breast lift) would be performed to release tissues including your fold and correct your nipple position and areola size.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast lift without implants

Thanks for your inquiry and yes, you could do only a lift with no implants, but your breasts would appear smaller.  Let me explain, as you remove some skin, release tissues and place the breast mass in a tighter pocket the breast looks smaller because the volume the breast occupies does actually become slightly smaller but more dense. Good Luck 

The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissuefor the first 3 to 4 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support!!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Correction of tuberous breasts without implants

The short answer is yes ! You don't need implants for correction of tuberous breasts, they are used for increasing size. The correction is performed through a circum-areolar lift, which can reduce the nipple and round out the breast. You can also into fat transfer to fill out the breast more. Find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who has experience with tubular breasts. Good luck !

Shwetambara Parakh, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon