Is Coolsculting an option and how long is recovery time in terms of appearance? (photo)

I've been leaning out for a fitness competition and I'm down to 17% body fat. My front looks great but the fat on the back of my upper thighs is persistent. It looks somewhat like this so-called "banana roll" but it seems to be a larger area than that. I'm doing cardio 6x a week and lifting 3x a week and this is stubborn (and I've had it since I was a kid and when I return to normal weight, it will become more pronounced). How long is recovery if Coolsculpting is an option?

Coolsculpting is excellent for non-invasive permanent fat removal. There is no downtime. You might feel some pain in the treated area. It takes 1-3 months to see results. I suggest having an in person consultation to determine if you are a candidate for Coolsculpting. 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Thank you for your question. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in CoolSculpting. This way, you can explain your concerns, learn more about the procedure, and determine if you are a good candidate. An in-person assessment is always best.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Coolsculpting of thighs and back

Thank you for your question. It sounds like you would be a good candidate for coolsculpting based on the areas you are looking to treat. Coolsculpting can work well on the back and upper thighs. I would find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that offers coolsculpting and see whether they feel coolsculpting would address your areas of concerns. Best of luck. 

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

CoolSculpting the Banana Roll

There is no downtime with CoolSculpting. You may feel sore in the treated areas afterwards but you can workout if you want to. Results take about 1-3 months. The only way to know if you a candidate for the procedure is to be assessed in person.

Robert G. Aycock, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting for banana roll

FDA has approved the banana roll for Coolsculpting. It will help reduce the bulge. The results start at about 3 weeks and take up to 3 months for full results. Z Wave helps improve the results up to 100%. Cooladvantage handpiece gives faster results, faster treatments, and less discomfort during treatments.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Coolsculpting Combo for the Win

Coolsculpting is definitely an option for you. In order to achieve the results you mentioned, I suggest Coolscupting in combination with radiofrequency treatments such as Vanquish, Venus Legacy or Exilis with Z wave/Cellutone in order to maximize results. There is no downtime with Coolsculpting. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer