CoolSculping worked, but didn't last. What happened?

I had Coolsculpting for my flanks in July and started seeing results after 3 weeks, up to 2 months. However, everything I lost came back and more around the 3rd month. I went back to where I got it done and they had no answers. I actually lost a few pounds and there was no change in diet. I had re-treatment today on the same areas. Any ideas what happened and should I expect the same again?

Coolsculpting and Results

Coolsculpting is a permanent fat reduction in a given area.  I have not seen what you are describing without weight gain.  I suggest you return for a consultation to a board certified dermatologist with expertise in Coolsculpting for an evaluation to assess what is happening.  Best, Dr. Green

Lost muscle weight and gained fatty weight?

Coolsculpting is best when performed on an area that has an excess number of fat cells. For example, women say, "When I gain weight, it goes straight to my belly." That means that you were born with more fat cells in your abdominal area. It would be great to perform coolsculpting in that area to reduce the number of fat cells there and make that are more proportional with the rest of your body. Then, if you gain weight, it will be more evenly distributed over your body. It won't just "go straight" to one area.
The fat loss is permanent after Coolsculpting. You typically lose 20-25% of the fat in the area treated, each time you treat it. I have done it to myself and my staff. It is truly effective and has no down time.
Best of Luck,
Sheila Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Coolsculpting and results not lasting

if your diet and exercise didnt change there are some people where other fat in the area can grow.  only a single treatment will give a small improvement that needs to be maintained. paradoxical hyperplasia, where the fat area treated actually gets bigger, can occur.  you may need more treamtents for this to be "permanent."  otherwise, hi definition liposuction would give you the result you want instantly.   Best, Dr. emer.

CoolSculpting Results Didn't Last

We've never had this happen. The results of CoolSculpting should be permanent if you maintain a healthy diet and an active lifestyle. Seeing before and after pictures would help. There is a very rare paradoxical hyperplasia that may occur after the CoolSculpting treatment. Make sure you meet with the doctor for an evaluation and not just the technicians.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  If the increase in tissue is where the applicator was placed, this could be a rare side effect of Coolsculpting called paradoxical adipose hyperplasia.  It causes an increase of subcutaneous fat in the area of the applicator with defined edges, rather than a decrease in fat.  Unfortunately, there is no evidence of it spontaneously resolving and requires surgical intervention to fix.  I recommend evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon to see if surgical intervention is the right course for you.

Carmen Kavali, MD