Compression Garments - How long is too long?

Hello, I'm now 5 weeks PostOp and have been wearing my compression garment 24/7 since the day of the operation, as directed by my doctor. My doctor instructed me that I can now remove the vest at 5 weeks, however given my skin laxity, I was wondering if there's any harm in continuing to wear it? My doctor said the garment aids in helping the skin retract, so I figure the more the better, but wasn't sure if there may be other reasons as to not wear the vest beyond what's been instructed?

Use of a Compression Garment After a Gynecomastia Procedure

Our patients are required to wear a compression garment for the a few weeks following their #Gynecomastia surgery.
The #compression garment helps to reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal.We recommend it not be removed, at all, until the second or third day after the surgery. After that, we suggest they feel free to temporarily remove the #garment for showering or laundering only. We encourage our patients to maintain circumferential pressure for 4-6 weeks, but they may switch to an exercise compression garment when advised.

Garments

You are probably going to be OK to stop continuous compression garment use around this time.  However, you may see some increase in swelling, and if so intermittent use of light compression may still help.  

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Garments after gynecomastia

Compression garments following gynecomastia repair are typically worn for 2 to 4 weeks. Swelling should be 90% resolved by one month. Please see examples of gynecomastia photos taken at 3 months following surgery.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Compression garments after gynecomastia removal

The extra pressure this elastic garment provides helps reduce swelling and discomfort. You should not remove this garment at all until the second or third day after surgery. After that, feel free to remove the garment temporarily for showering or laundering. In my practice for most patients I recommend circumferential pressure for 4-6 weeks, and switch to an exercise compression garment when advised. Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to give you specific advice.

#gynecomastiaremoval
#gynecomastia
#malebreastreduction

After five weeks, I would transition to a lycra-type under armor tight fitting shirt. This will still give you good support without causing creases. 

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations on having undergone the gynecomastia corrective surgery. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource but there should be no harm in continuing to wear compressive garments. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Thank you for your question.  I have patients use compression garments to help minimize the swelling of tissues after surgery, which will limit pain, but by five weeks yours has likely resolved.  There is no harm in continuing use of the garment, and you may be able to switch to a more comfortable compression shirt from spanx or under armour.  Time and your skin quality will play the largest role in the amount of skin retraction you can anticipate, but certainly no harm in continuing compression use.  Hope this helps.