Collagen lip injections disaster. Can it be fixed? (Photo)

I had collagen lip inject in my lips 2 years ago and they aren't going away. I'm very sad because they are lumpy, and make it look like I have a tooth that is pushing my lip out but it's just the collagen. My lips are deformed and I'm very insecure right now. I don't know what to do any more, I don't have a lot of money to get this problem fixed but it Brothers me so much. One side of my lips has a very big ball in it :(

Collagen Injections and Lips and Reactions

Please return to your treating physician since collagen has been generally off the market for over 10 years. I do not understand what product was injected and I would definitely recommend that you have this problem examined. 

Collagen lip injections disaster

Thank you for your question and photo. I find your case very interesting.  Two years is more then suffiecent time for the collagen to be absorbed. Look over ypur medical recors to see what material was injected and see a board certified injector.  Best Wishes

Collagen lip injections disaster. Can it be fixed?

It is very unlikely that you had collagen injected into your lips as collagen tends to be reabsorbed very quickly. I would recommend that you seek a second opinion with a plastic surgeon ASAP. You should also request a copy of your medical records from your injector's office and make sure it lists exactly what product was placed in your lips. The options to improve your lip shape depend upon exactly what was placed in your lips but will most likely involve a surgical procedure to remove some of the product and contour your lips into a more natural shape. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Collagen Injections?

This unfortunate situation doesn't fit the natural history of collagen injections, which are rarely performed these days.  The aesthetic benefit of bovine collagen only lasts for about 4-6 weeks.  If these injections were performed in the United States, I would inquire about what was actually injected.  The appearance of the lips shown in he photo is suggestive that something like silicone or other permanent agent was utilized. Best to see a board certified Facial Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon, or Dermatologist to evaluate this issue in person.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon