Is my chin weak/recessed? (photos)

I don't think you have a recessed chin. The shape and position of your chin seems to be normal. X-rays would confirm. 

New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Candidate for a chin augmentation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Chin Augmentation

Your chin is slightly recessed. Have some computer imaging done to see if chin augmentation surgery makes it look better to you.

Dear Callascowboys123, This photograph is not very detailed and a bit dark however I recall other pictures you posted before that show you would be a candidate for chin augmentation with a small implant. I would suggest seeking consultation with an expert in the field, have imaging performed to show you the proposed results, review the surgeons before and after photographs and then make an informed decision regarding chin augmentation. An example of the imaging process shown in the video above and the link below is examples of chin augmentation. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Weak chin?

I do not think your chin is significantly recessed. If you wanted more projection, you could consider putting in a small implant. However your projection seems to be adequate. Good luck. Best, Dr H 

Sanaz Harirchian, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant for recessive chin profile

A full set of photographs of better quality are required to make a determination about placement of a chin implant. The chin implants and the mandible are both three-dimensional structures. Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of shapes and sizes, and are composed of Silastic. They are usually placed through a small incision in the chin under local anesthesia. For more information, diagrams and many before-and-after results of  chin implants, please see the link and video below

Recessive chins

Thanks for asking such a great question.  Chins impact your other facial features, as well as under the chin.  Your chin is a bit weak making you a good candidate for chin augmentation surgery.  Having an implant placed can help with diminishing nose size, as well as marionette lines and a double chin.  Having a stronger chin will be a nice addition for you.Make sure you do your research and see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience with this procedure and enjoy the new you!!

Is chin weak/recessed?

Looking at your photo, I would say you do have some recession of your chin.  Augmentation of your chin with an implant would improve this and help to balance your profile.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is my chin weak/recessed?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery. Hope this helps.