Are my breasts too close together? (photos)

I am 3 1/2 weeks post op and went with 400cc silicone, sub muscular implants. I wore a harness type thing for the past three weeks pretty much 24/7 as instructed and it was incredibly painful. After my appointment this week I was told I no longer need to unless I want to, but I'd have to wear it 24/7 for another month. Are they too close? There is a bit of raising between the breasts but I can't tell if it's swelling or not. My surgeon didn't specify and said it was up to me. Please help!! Thanks!

Breast Implant Position

Thank you for your question and for your picture. Your  breasts do appear too close together.  Allow at least 3-6 months of healing after surgery to get a better idea of the overall result.  Over time the swelling should go down and the implants should settle down in a lower position. At that time if you are still dissatisfied with your results I would recommend following up with your plastic surgeon and voicing your concerns. A revision surgery may be necessary.   

Breast implant position

Based on that picture, your breast implants do look rather close.  It doesn't appear you have true symmastia but the width of the implants used for your body may be too wide leading to the look you see.  However, it is rather early in your post operative time. Allow at least 3 months to go by and see how the implants settle in.  At that point evaluate the results and see if you want a revision to separate the breasts.  Good luck on the rest of your recovery.

Khashayar Mohebali, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Are my breasts too close together?

Thank you for your question.  Yes, your breasts do appear too close together.  Allow at least 3 months of healing after surgery to get a better idea of the overall result.  Over this time, swelling goes down and the implants settle down in a lower position.  If you're not satisfied with your results at that time, you may always consider revision.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Are my breasts too close together?

Thank you for your question.  It does appear that your breasts are too close together and surgical dissection placed one of your implants too far over your breastbone.  At this point allow your results to mature but you should address this concern with your surgeon so that they can track your progress.  Best wishes.

They are.

Your observation is correct. Your breast implants are too close. Share your observation with your surgeon and he/she will guide you about this issue.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Are my breasts too close together?

Thank you for your question. Your breasts look close to each other especially left one . It is only 31/2 weeks post op I recommend you wait 3 months and reevaluate. If needed revision can be done after 6 months. Please express your concerns to your PS

Breasts Close Together after Augmentation

Yes, your breasts are very close together, and your left breast appears to cross the midline. This is usually a result of over dissection of the pectoralis muscles along the sternum.  Unfortunately, it will most likely require additional surgery to restore the space between your breasts (cleavage).  In my practice, I would ask you to wait at least three months to allow the implant capsule to develop before undergoing a repair, however a discussion about the options could take place at any time.  The capsule, which you can think of as a strong layer of tissue between the implant and the adjacent muscle and breast tissue, can then be use to aide in the implant pocket repair.  If you wish to read more about this, you can do a search for symmastia and symmastia repair.  I have included a link to a before and after from my photo gallery for you to view. 

Laurence Weider, MD

Are my breasts too close together?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery. Your breast implants do sit" very close to the midline (one breast implant may be crossing the midline).  Based on your questions/concerns, it is possible that revisionary breast surgery may be necessary to increase the space between the breasts.  Capsulorraphy or and/or use of additional supportive material (in the cleavage area)may be necessary. You will read much about these procedures on this website and on the attached link. Best wishes.