Should I get a breast reduction? (photos)

My breasts have started growing nearly a cup size every month or two and I am now up to M cup. I'm pretty sure I'll be outgrowing this shortly... and am starting to freak out because I'm only 18. It's hard to describe but ever day or so I wake up I feel like I can notice them slightly bigger... mostly heavier. I'm assuming I'm too large for this to be normal?

Should I Have Breast Reduction?

Thank you for your question and photos. 

In general when the excessive breast size causes functional problems, #insurance will generally pay for #breastreduction if more than 400 – 500 grams are removed from each breast dependent on your individual insurance company requirements. These problems may include neck #pain, back or shoulder pain, hygiene difficulty, and breast pain. 

#Breastreduction is very successful in reducing these problems. Candidates for breast reduction surgery are women who wish to have smaller breasts to achieve a more proportional appearance or to alleviate physical discomfort. Breast reduction can correct symptoms from excessively #large, #heavy breasts that may cause the inability to do certain exercises, or create back, shoulder and neck #pain, poor posture, bra-strap shoulder #indentations and chafing or rashes under the breasts.

One thing to keep in mind is that at your age, your breasts may still be developing. Because of this, you may experience continued breast growth even after surgery. The best advise I can give you is to schedule a consultation with a Board Certified plastic surgeon who will be qualified to evaluate your current breast shape and volume. They will also be able to explain all of your options. Good luck!

Too early for breast reduction?

Hi, thanks for your question. 

It sounds as though you will be a great candidate for breast reduction. Age for breast reduction is mostly based on how stable your breast size has been. It sounds as though your breasts may still be increasing in size. It's most valuable to have a reduction after breast size has stabilized for 6 months to a year. That way you don't risk getting a reduction and then having more breast growth after that. 

The best next step is to get a consultation with a plastic surgeon so that he/she can best advise you on your next steps. 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Should I get a breast reduction; 18 years old?

I'm sorry to hear about the  problems your disproportionately large breasts are causing you. It is probable that you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy.  

In my practice, timing of breast reduction surgery is determined on a case-by-case basis. It is not too early to do your homework and learn as much as possible about breast reduction surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with the procedure.  

It will be important that you learn about the potential risks/complications associated with breast reduction surgery. Unsatisfactory scarring is one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age). 

I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. 

***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps.