Should I get another breast reduction? (photos)

I started with a 34DD (I was fitted by several people,) and I told the Dr I wanted to be around a C cup. After my breast reduction (3 months post-op,) I am still a 34DD. I was told to try on one of my old bras to really notice a difference and the only difference was they just fit a little better. I paid a pretty penny and don't want to pay any more for another surgery. I would be ok with even D's, but two full sizes bigger? I'm just discouraged. Any thoughts?

Should I get another breast reduction?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after previous breast reduction surgery. It is generally safe to undergo additional reduction surgery but care must be taken to avoid complications.  Although there are no absolute rules when it comes to timing for repeat breast reduction surgery, I would suggest that you give yourself at least six months before evaluating the final outcome of the procedure performed. 

One of the concerns when repeating breast reduction surgery is related to blood flow to the remaining breast tissue; is important to perform the operation in such a fashion that the blood flow to the nipple/areola/breast tissue is not compromised. The part of the tissue that is left in place after breast reduction surgery is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola/ breast tissue. If the pedicle (that was used during the previous breast reduction procedure) is cut then the blood flow to tissues may be compromised leading to serious complications such as tissue necrosis etc.  

Make sure that you communicate your size goals carefully; in my practice, I encourage patients NOT to use cups sizes as references;  the use of visual aids such as photographs are much more helpful.  For example, a "C cup" may mean different things to different people and may be a source of miscommunication.
I hope this,  and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes.

Second breast reduction

When it comes to breast reductions, it is hard to guarantee an exact cup size because it's not just the volume we are concerned with, but also the shape. The reduction has to be done in a manner that keeps a nice overall shape to the breasts (projection, width, contours, symmetry), and it is always better to under-resect than over-resect. I say this because it is much easier to go back and remove more if desired, than to remove too much (or even the right amount that you agreed to) since in that case you can't reverse that effect. If too much is removed, to increase volume you would need an implant or fat transfer. You photos show a nice result, but I understand it was not as small as you were hoping for. The good news is it is possible to do a second breast reduction. The bad news is all surgery costs money, so you would be paying additional fees to have it done.

Anita Patel, MD