Do I need a Breast Lift with my Implants? (photos)

Question is, my breasts have started to sag recently within the last year, and I'm wanting to know do I need a breast lift? I really just want implants also what size and texture implant should I get?

Modification

You will need some degree of modification to your breast in order to obtain the symmetry that you desire.  The level of the lower breast fold and the distance from the nipple to the areola needs to be thoroughly assesed to make sure that your implants "sit" in a symmetrical position.  Make sure you see a board certified surgeon who has done several of these procedures because the devil truly is in the details.  Your doctor can also go through the different implants to make sure to find the one that is right for you.  There are literally dozens of options!  Good luck.

Jackson Plastic Surgeon

Implants and lift candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
After having analyzed all the information and photos provided to us, I realize that you have very sagging and small breasts. In this regard, you need volume (implants) and projection (the lift): Breast Augmentation w/Breast Lift.
I recommend you to use microtexturized highly cohesive silicon implant ("gummy bear" implants), with high projection, and 550ml will be excelent on you, to fill the breasts properly.
Finally, to perform the breast lift I recommend a Periareolar Round Block Breast Lift ("Benelli mastopexy"), which has an unnoticed scar around the areola, and if we see (in the surgery) that we can't obtain adecuate projection just with the Benelli Lift, we have to perform a "Lollipop breast lift".
Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Do I need a Breast Lift with my Implants?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Your pictures clearly demonstrate significant and asymmetric breast ptosis.  Based on this, I think that you will benefit from breast augmentation/lifting surgery.

You will do best by seeking consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.

Patients who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery should understand that this combination surgery is significantly more complex than either one of the procedures done separately. In other words, the combination breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery differs from breast augmentation surgery alone in that it carries increased risk compared to either breast augmentation or mastopexy surgery performed separately.

Furthermore, the potential need for revisionary surgery is increased with breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery done at the same time.  This revisionary rate may be as high (or higher) than 20%. Patients should be aware of this higher revisionary rate;  obviously, the need for additional surgery, time off work/life  considerations,  and additional expenses  our “factors” that should be considered before undergoing the initial operation. 

Personally, I find that the breast augmentation/lifting procedure to be one of the most challenging  of the breast operations I perform, even compared to somewhat complex revisionary breast surgery. On the one hand,  when performing breast augmentation/lifting surgery we are increasing the breast  size with breast implants;  on the other hand, we are reducing the breast “envelope” in order to achieve the breast lift. These two “forces” must be balanced as perfectly as possible in order to achieve the desired results. Removing too much skin/ breast tissue is problematic;  removing too little breast skin/tissue can also be problematic.  Remember also that patients presenting for breast lifting surgery and general have lost some skin elasticity/thickness making potential incision line healing problems and/or recurrent drooping/sagging important concerns to communicate.  

The analogy I use in my practice is that  of a thinned out balloon,  being expanded with additional air, while at the same time removing some of the balloons rubber surface.  I hope that this analogy helps patients understand some of the issues at hand when performing the combination breast augmentation/lifing operation.

To achieve  a surgical result where the breast implant and breast tissue “come together” and behave like a single breast is one of my goals but can be difficult to achieve.  Essentially, we are trying to create a breast implant/breast tissue interface that feels and behaves as naturally ( as a single unit)  as possible. Generally speaking, making sure that the breast implant has some sub muscular and some sub glandular component ( dual plane)  and tailoring the overlying skin/subcutaneous tissue/breast tissue as precisely as possible over the underlying breast implant is key.

Despite these efforts, breast implants are after all a foreign body that don't necessarily stay where we wish they would;  therefore, breast implant related problems such as positioning ( too high, too low, lateral displacement etc.) can occur  and may be a reason for returning to the operating room for revisionary breast surgery. I use a “tailor tacking” technique that allows a determination of what breast implant should be used to SAFELY produce the results the patient is looking for. This technique involves use of a temporary sizer and temporary “closure” of the overlying breast skin over the sizer.  The use of the tailor tacking technique is very helpful.  Breast lifting involves removal of skin ( and tightening of the breast skin envelope)  while breast augmentation involves expansion of the breast skin envelope. These 2 forces are counteracting each other.   Again, despite these efforts, breast implant and/or tissue/skin complications may arise causing minor or significant complications.  

Generally speaking, it is difficult to achieve the “perfect” result with breast augmentation/lifting surgery, despite best efforts.  Patients should be aware of the complexity of this combination procedure, achieve REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS prior to proceeding, and understand that additional surgery ( along with the additional recovery time, stress, expenses etc) may be necessary in the short or long-term. Patients should understand that the results of the procedure will not necessarily match aesthetically the results of patients who have undergone breast augmentation surgery only.

For example, some patients who wish to maintain long-term superior pole volume/"roundness" may find that this result is not achieved after the initial breast augmentation/lifting operation.  An additional operation, possibly involving capsulorrhaphy, may be necessary to achieve the patient's longer-term goals ( with superior pole volume/roundness).  It is helpful if patients understand that this breast implant capsule used to provide the support for the breast implant is not present during the initial breast augmentation/lifting operation.  The capsule (layer of scar tissue) forms around the breast implant and may be a good source of supportive tissue during revisionary breast surgery,  Including correction of breast implant displacement/malposition problems ( such as bottoming out, symmastia,  lateral displacement etc).  

Potential risks associated with breast augmentation/lifting surgery include infection, bleeding, incision line healing problems, loss/change of nipple/areola complex sensation, and blood flow related issues  to causing skin or tissue necrosis.   Poor scarring,  pigment changes, areola/nipple asymmetry etc. are also potential problems. Again, patients may experience implant related problems such as encapsulation, leakage, displacement problems ( too high, bottoming out, lateral displacement, asymmetric positioning etc.), rippling/palpability of breast implants etc.  Patients may also be dissatisfied with breast size, shape, and/or how the  breast implants and overlying breast tissues “interface” with one another.    Occasionally, a breast implant may even have to be removed and the patient will generally be “implant free” for several months at least.  Obviously, this situation can be quite physically, emotionally, and psychosocially stressful to the patient involved.

I hope that this summary of SOME  of the issues surrounding breast augmentation/lifting surgery  is helpful to you and other women considering this procedure in the future.  The attached link may also be helpful.   

My personal recommendation is that you do consider an uplift at the time of placement of breast implants to avoid enhancing the droopy appearance of your breasts with more volume.  If a dual plane augmentation allows your nipple to rise efficiently as seen during surgery I would leave your plastic surgeon the option of avoiding the lift but I do think it likely will be necessary and desirable for you.  Also keep in mind that a periareolar lift will avoid stretching of your areolae from the tension of your breast implants that would otherwise make them larger in diameter. Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  With that being said, based on your photographs, you are a great candidate for a breast augmentation with a dual plane technique and I do not believe you need a lift.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Do I need a lift with my implants?

Thank you for your question.  For optimal results and symmetry, a donut (peri-areolar) lift in addition to implants  would be considered.  My preference is for smooth round implants as they feel softer and more natural.  Determining the right implant size for you would require an in person examination.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Do I need a lift?

Thanks for your inquiry, and I do believe you need a peri-areolar lift.  In terms of if you need a textured implant, I think part of that is surgeon preference.  I have included a link to a before/after result like you.  Please have a few in person consultations to discuss your options and best of luck.  

Breast implants

From the pictures you posted, it does not appear that you need a breast lift. Implants alone may help give you the illusion of a lift. An in-person consultation with a plastic surgeon where you can discuss your goals and looking at pre- and post-op pictures with your doctor will greatly assist you in determining what size and style of implant will accomplish your goals. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Good luck. 

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon