Breast lift & Augmentation: 5'3, 126lbs - trying to determine the right size for my implants, recommendation was 450cc.

I am 5'3 and weigh 126lbs. I am currently a size 34D. My PS suggested getting 450cc silicone implants. My request was to have full, lifted breasts. I'm wondering if 450 is too much but struggling to determine the answer to that. Will this place me in a DDD, will that make me look too large. How do I determine the right size for me?

Your current breast size plays little role in the size of the implant chosen when a lift is performed.  Keep in mind that when performing the lift your plastic surgeon has the ability to remove a significant amount of your breast tissue.  It is advantageous to remove breast tissue and use a larger implant when upper pole fullness is desired,  This is called the plus-minus principle.
Good luck,
Ary Krau MD FACS

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift.A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, your surgeon will determine on a personal consultation how your scar’s going to be and where depending on your breast tissue amount, I suggest you to check testers with your surgeon about sizes and type of implant, Hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Sizing for Implants

If you are presently a D cup you have to ask yourself the question how big do I want to be. As a rule a 200 -250cc implant will increase your breast size by one cup size. Given that you are already a D cup 450 additional cc will increase your breast size considerably to at least a DD and quite possibly to DDD. You should consider the rest of your body in choosing an appropriate size for your new breast. You should try to make your hips and breast fit into the symmetry of your body. In other words try to make your breast size match your hip size. You should always try on breast implant sizers prior to choosing your implant size. If you want to stay the size that your presently are then there is no reduction in breast size with a breast lift.

Robert G. Aycock, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift & Augmentation

If you are truly a D cup, than adding that size implant would give a massive sized breast. This question can only be answered with an examination. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Trying to determine the right size for my implants

Thank you for your question.  It's hard to say what implant size would be best without photos and a full exam.  In my practice, patients get measurements of their breast dimensions to help narrow the range of acceptable implants to consider. My patients then try on different implant sizers in a simple bra while wearing a tight t-shirt to get a better idea of the look that they prefer while looking at the mirror. Try not to focus so much on bra size or specific implant volume but more on the look that you want. Also, providing "wish" photos of breasts that you like can be very helpful in communicating your goals. Be sure to consult with an experienced plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Best Breast Implants for Me

Thank you for the question. There is no accurate/reliable/predictable correlation between size/profile breast implant utilized and cup size achieved.

Ultimately, you will do well select your plastic surgeon carefully and communicating your goals, questions, and concerns. In other words, careful measurements, dimensional planning, and careful communication will be key.

Generally speaking, patients undergoing this combination operation should understand that it is significantly more complex than breast augmentation surgery only and that it is associated with a significantly higher risk of complications and need for additional surgery. 

You will find a lot of information on this website and on the attached link.

Also, generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Again, have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "DDD cup" or "too large" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during this communication phase.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery. The use of temporary intraoperative sizers with the patient in the upright position makes selection of the best breast implant size/profile relatively easy.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.