Blepharoplasty vs Brow Lift for male? (Photos)

I'm in my late 30's and often get asked if I'm upset because of my hooded and deep set eyes (part Asian ethnicity). I'd like to open them up to expose my entire eye. When I put on a hat backwards it seems to lift up my eyelids to a position I think looks better. Any thoughts or recommendations on the type of procedure I should be looking into?

Brow lift and Blepharoplasty.

Hi Smokey, that is an interesting simulation of an elevated brow. If you like that look on yourself, you would need a surgical brow lift procedure. In general,  a masculine brow is  flatter appearing whereas women generally  look for a brow shape that arches higher above the eye socket laterally. Of course you can decide what you prefer and this simulation is a good way to assess that. You could also consider a more conservative brow elevation and stabilization but still remove some of the excess eyelid skin by combining it with an upper blepharoplasty surgery. Alternatively you could just address the eyelid skin excess.  It is best to discuss these options with an experienced Facial plastic or Oculoplastic  surgeon. All the best to you. 

Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Trans-blepharoplasty Brow Lift

Smokey, thank you for your question and photos. That's an interesting technique with the hat. I thought that I was looking at post-op photos of a great result. What you are doing with the hat is simulating a brow lift by pulling up above the eyebrow. To simulate an upper lid "lift" you would have to pinch the excess skin of the upper lid which actually pulls the brow down. What you want/need primarily is exactly what you are simulating; a brow lift. This can be achieved with either neurotoxin injection (i.e. Botox) or with surgery. Optimal Botox results will give you significant improvement but will likely not be as dramatic as your hat lift. For that, you would probably require a surgical browlift which can be performed through various incisional approaches. Endoscopic brow lifts are performed through small incisions just behind the hairline. This may be a good option for you unless your hairline is thinning or receding. Another option is to perform the brow lift through an upper eyelid incision which is then also used to remove any remaining excess skin from the eyelid which would probably allow you to achieve an even better result similar to what you have demonstrated. I recommend that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in periorbital surgery to confirm the most appropriate treatment plan for you. 

Good luck. 

Dr. Polo

Max Polo, MD

Blepharoplasty vs Brow Lift for male?

Hi, I've performed many upper eyelid surgeries and Brow Lifts over the past 30 years.  Based on the photos, there is excess upper eyelid skin that can be removed with an upper blepharoplasty.  This is a much easier surgery without the large incisions that must be placed within your hair for a Brow Lift.  The brow can be raided using Botox injections.

Hope this helps.

Browlifts versus blepharoplasty?

Smokey95,

Thank you for the excellent question.  It is difficult to tell you definitively from just the frontal images, however, I see your concern.  A Browlifts would reduce any hooding effect, but care would need to be taken not to overarch your brows given their strong shape.  Botox can relax some of the muscles pulling the brow down, and may be an option worth trying to see if you like the effect.  I would recommend consulting with a facial plastic specialist regarding your concerns.  I hope this helps!

All my best!  Dr. Elizabeth

"This answer has been solicted without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion.  Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Brow lift versus blepharoplasty

To obtain the results presented in the photographs, both a blepharoplasty and a brow lift procedure are required. It's extremely important not to over-elevate the eyebrows and a young male patient. A conservative upper blepharoplasty procedure can accomplish removal of the hooded skin touching the eyelashes. For more information and many before and after examples of both procedures, please see the link and the video below

Eyelid or brow surgery?

Based on your photographs and how you feel about the look with your hat on, there is no question that a brow lift would help you. An endoscopic brow lift which involves small incisions behind the hairline would be the ideal choice to give you the look that you want. Your best option is to consult a plastic surgeon who  is experienced in endoscopic brow lift. The issue that you have is a genetic one. Your brows are congenitally low. I have done brow lifts in people in their 20s with excellent results. A brow lift should work very well for you

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty vs Brow Lift for male?

1. Based on your photo and desired look a brow lift may be your best option.
  2. To get an idea of how a browlift will help you I suggest that you try Botox in the frown line area and in the corner outside your eyelid in the crows feet region.  This can often produce 6 mm of brow elevation  to give you an idea of how he browlift might improve things.
  3. I also believe you do have excess upper eyelid skin  and may need an upper blepharoplasty after the brow elevation to unhood the eyelids..  However if you're happy with the browlift alone  that saves you a second operation.
  4. I would not do a combination brow lift and blepharoplasty because the risk of overcorrection is serious.
  5. For more information please read the link below:

Moderation is best

although your pictures are of good quality, it is so important to be seen in person.  From the photos you have a low brow as well as thin, redundant eyelid skin.  I would recommend an endoscopic brow lift with conservative upper lid surgery.  This will soften the appearance of the brow/lid complex.

Jeffrey Joseph, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty versus brow lift – two different looks.

Both procedures improve the upper eyelid region. The appearance you are demonstrating while wearing your hat is the appearance that could be  achieved through a brow lift -  but not by blepharoplasty  alone. 

The other clue to which procedure is right is the fact that people miss read your emotions – that is almost always suggestive of a low brow position. 

With the right techniques, brow lift can be performed on men, even those with no hair, and leave almost imperceptible incision lines. 

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Male blepharoplasty

You can consider a conservative upper blepharoplasty aiming to sculpt the contour of the upper eyelid by excising in a conservative fashion the excess of skin. Male blepharoplasty requires a unique approach in order to avoid feminisation of the eyebrow-eyelid complex. Men usually have low set and full eyebrows and I don't feel you will benefit from an eyebrow lift.

Costas Papageorgiou, MD, FACS
London Facial Plastic Surgeon