No binder for first week after surgery?

My doctor is doing drainless TT, breast augmentation as well as Lipo on flanks and hips on Aug. 22, 2016. I was told by his nurse that my PS doesn't recommend a binder or CG for the first week after surgery. Says he wants maximum blood flow to area and no initial pressure on the incision site for first week. Makes sense to me, but most all the postings I've read, the ladies wear CG. Opinion?

No binder for first week after surgery

Thank you for your question. Discuss your post op management with your Plastic Surgeon.  Follow your surgeons recommendations. Not using a binder after surgery and waiting a few days to ensure perfusion is fine but you may be a bit more swollen in the first few days.   Best Wishes. 

Tummy tuck, breast augmentation and liposuction - but no garment or binder?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • Every surgeon does things differently -
  • Your surgeon is right - tight, compressive girdles and binders are not good for healing.
  • I use a jumpsuit which is not compressive and an adjustable binder that is loosened as needed for comfort.
  • These garments help my patients be up and around after surgery.
  • But if your surgeon is an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, it is best to follow his instructions.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Garments after surgery

Thanks for your inquiry.  I suggest you closely follow the instructions of the surgeon you choose.  What other doctors do with binders is irrelevant because they may do the operation differently as well.  Good Luck.  

Compression Garment Protocol

Dear Squeeful, You are right in that all surgeons have different postoperative protocols. I do use garments from the very beginning, but I do not think it is unreasonable to go the first week. The blood supply to this tummy tuck flap will improve over the first eight days due to the “delay affect”. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Dr Derby

Every surgeon does his/her things differently and set out their own post operative process, it is best to talk all the details with your surgeon before the procedure. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

No binder for first week after surgery?

This is not unheard of. Some PS do believe that the added pressure can decrease the blood flow to the abdominoplasty skin flaps. I will wait 24-48h to place the CG when I do a circumferential body lift with liposuction. Your PS may be planning on doing aggressive liposuction and just wants to play it safe.

Each Surgeon is Different

After their #tummytuck or #mommymakeover, most patients will be placed in an abdominal #binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic #garment for compression over the next six weeks. 
That being said, each surgeon has slightly different pre op and post op suggestions.Speak some more to your #BoardCertified plastic surgeon.