Can a belly button post TT be revised?

I am on the research stage of getting a mommy makeover, after looking at pictures of TT, I've noticed that some belly buttons looked more natural and some looks like a "punch hole". If/when I get my TT and the belly button does not look "close" to natural, can it be revised? How long after TT can revision be done? Thank you.

TT and Bellybutton

Dear Saggymomma5,

Whether it can be revised successfully or not depends on the problem you are incurring. An attractive bellybutton should be oval, not round, and it should slope gently downwards just like the youthful, bikini-clad model might have.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Belly button appearance

If you’re unhappy with the appearance of your belly button post surgery, you can definitely get it reshaped. You’ll need to wait a few months before doing so, however.

To minimize the risk of this happening, you can also review the before/after photos of your surgeon’s previous tummy tuck patients. This will give you an idea of your surgeon’s aesthetics. Make sure to discuss the kind of belly button you’d like to have. That way, they’ll better understand your goals.

Can a belly button be revised?

Sure, but it takes a good 6 months to a year for you to see your final results after a TT to allow ALL of the swelling to resolve. Scar/belly button revision would ideally be performed after this. Best to choose your surgeon based upon his or her expertise and the results he or she has been able to produce. Good luck!!

You worry too much

Belly button beauty is most important part of tummy tuck.  Its design is not random but determined by the operating surgeon based on his/her skill level. A good surgeon will always give you a beautiful and natural belly button.  

Pay attention to the name of surgeon whose belly buttons you like and you will have no problem. 

Bad belly buttons can also be enhanced and improved with proper techniques.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Belly button revision after TT

Thank you for your question. BB can be revised after TT if needed. I recommend them to wait about 6-9 months after TT.

Can A Belly Button Be Revised Post TT?

Thanks for your question! Yes, of course a belly button can be revised if needed after surgery; I would usually wait around 6-12 months before doing that though. 

Of course, the best prevention of needing a revision is to do it right the first time! A small vertical oval really looks the best, & in my experience of doing >1,000, has served me well. Best of luck to you!

Robert P. Schmid, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Belly button and TT?

I strive to achieve the most natural belly button at the original tummy tuck surgery. Factors that increase the risks of the BB not looking as natural include the presence of a hernia, scars within the belly from previous surgery, and an extremely long BB stalk as might be seen in a a person after major weight loss. While the results on most patients are great, when they're not completely satisfied a revision can be performed under local anesthesia. I suggest waiting a full year to let the swelling fully resolve before attempting revision. Best, Dr. ALDO :)

Aldo Guerra, MD

Can a belly button post tummy tuck be revised?

Yes, depending on the circumstances, an unsatisfactory umbilical appearance can be revised after tummy tuck surgery.

Generally speaking, understandably, the appearance of the umbilicus is of great importance to many patients undergoing tummy tuck surgery; after all, it may be the only telltale sign of having undergone the tummy tuck surgery when the patient is wearing a swimming suit or undergarments. The umbilicus should be positioned carefully; if it is too high or too low, it may be a sign of tummy tuck surgery. Ifit is too round or slit like it may also look "surgical". Most patients prefer a relatively small and oval-shaped umbilicus. 

Revision

If you are unhappy with the appearance of your belly button after surgery, it can be revised.  You will want to wait at least 6 months after surgery until the tissues have had time to heal and settle before considering revision.  Speak with your surgeon beforehand about how you would like your navel to look.  You may find that you are very happy with the appearance.  Best wishes!

Camille Cash, MD