2 weeks post-op, am I progressing ok from my gynecomastia? Areola is still swollen, hard, and deformed on one side. (photos)

I am posting before and after pics of my gynecomastia procedure, please let me know if the progress is ok (it's about 2 weeks now). Also the area around areola is still swollen and feels hard, as well as the areola deformed on one side. Do you think it will be better in sometime ( how much time ?) and if I might need a revisit for the areola. Thanks for your time!

Healing Progression at 2 Weeks Post-Op from Gynecomastia

Hello, and thank you for your question. Here are some common post-operative healing issues that can occur with this procedure:

• Asymmetry during the healing process
  • Lumps or firmness under skin
  • Prolonged swelling (edema)
  • Skin Pigment changes
  • Prolonged redness of the incision
  • Blood clots
  • Hematoma
  • Breast contour or shape irregularities
  • Anesthesia risks
  • Infection
  • Scarring
  • Fluid accumulation
  • Persistent pain
  • Temporary or permanent changes in breast or nipple sensation

And some definitions of these issues:

Contour Abnormalities: Although the doctor will make every effort to give you a “perfect” result, the area of excess tissue removal may end up with a contour that is slightly too high or too low. You may feel the “edge” around the areolar dissection. Massage and time (4-6 months) usually eliminates or reduces this problem, if it occurs.

Reduced sensation of nipple: Any surgery of the breast can lead to reduced nipple sensation. Reduced sensation is usually temporary, but may take months to resolve. In unusual cases, some permanent loss of sensation may occur.

Recurrence of Breast Enlargement: This is uncommon, but can occur. If this happens, you may require further surgery later.

Seroma Formation: A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary.

Harness Within Breasts: Postoperative scarring within the breast tissue may cause areas of hardness. Occasionally, areas of hardness, when discovered later may cause worries about cancer. Mammography or even biopsy is occasionally indicated.

Now, one of the best things to remember is that if you find yourself concerned at all about the healing process at any point you should visit your surgeon to have the area examined and make sure that everything is progressing as it should. There can always be complications, but revisions are possible if needed. Best of luck.

Last contacted 20 hours ago

Final Result

Dear redefineme,

It takes a full six months for all the swelling to subside from gynecomastia surgery. So, it is difficult to ascertain what kind of result you are going to have at this time.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Last contacted 7 days ago

Gynecomastia

Hello and thank you for your question. The hardest part of gynecomastia in patients who a lot of excess skin is getting the skin to retract and redrape nicely. It appears as though you have a depression underneath the nipple that is caused by the skin creasing once the gland has been removed. This may contract over the next few months but you may need a revision. 

Best Wishes 

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Last contacted 1 day ago

Revision post male breast reduction

You seem to be progressing well. At this time it is hard to say whether or not you will need a revision; which, keep in mind, would not take place prior to at least 3-6 months. Be patient and follow your surgeon's instructions....it is still possible that the skin will shrink back nicely.

Clayton L. Moliver, MD

Last contacted 2 hours ago