Am I a good candidate for inner and outer thigh liposuction? (Photo)

I've heard mixed reviews about the inner thighs and lots of bad jobs and ruined legs. What type of thighs make the best candidates for thigh liposuction ? I have larger muscle legs.

Liposuction does great for thighs and knees to really shape the legs.

Liposuction is such a great procedure when done under local tumescent with the smaller cannulas since your doc can stand you up during the procedure to fine tune the results. Getting lipo on the thighs and knees is so easy and would make a dramatic improvement. Usually the bad results on thighs are  seen when lipo is done under general anesthesia with the larger cannulas.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

You have excellent skin quality with good elasticity and should respond well to liposuction of your thighs.  I would recommend using an energy source such as laser assisted or ultrasound assisted liposuction to ensure smooth removal of the fat and to tighten the skin envelope.  It would also help to use a smaller calliper cannula for fat removal to avoid contour irregularity.  This should give you smoother aesthetic lines and a space between your thighs.

John Burns, MD

Am I a good candidate for inner and outer thigh liposuction?

Thank you for your question.  In general, the best candidates for liposuction are those with defined pockets of fat with good skin tone.  Based on your photos, you appear to be a good candidate.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Am I a good candidate for inner and outer thigh liposuction

Thank you submitting your questions and photos.  Without an examination, and just looking at photos, you appear to be a good candidate for liposuction of the thighs.  Best candidates have good skin tone.  Consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best Wishes.  

The patients who come to my office ask that question frequently. The outer thigh is more amenable to liposuction because the skin does better, however the inner thigh if done correctly will do fine. The risk of the inner thigh is the skin will not heal well have irregularities and hang downward. This is rare in the correct candidates  

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Potentially Great Candidate

Thanks for your question. Please be aware that my comments here are general and can’t be taken as specific medical advice. Based on your photos, you appear to be a good candidate for liposuction of the thighs, though other issues with respect to your general health, medications, etc., would also need to be taken into consideration. You look like you're fit and have good skin quality, with isolated areas of stubborn fat. However, photos are never a replacement for an in-person examination, so to offer a firm opinion I would have to see you. Having said that, having strong muscles in your legs can actually help your surgeon achieve a better result from liposuction because sculpting the overlying fat can enhance your muscle definition. Overly aggressive liposuction or liposuction that focuses too narrowly on one “spot” can produce uneven or unattractive results. Liposuction with laser assistance, such as smartlipo, can also have complications, especially in experienced hands. To avoid an unsatisfying result, be sure to consult with well-qualified surgeons who specialize in body contouring, and who have plenty of impressive before-and-after photos for a variety of surgeries. Best of luck to you.

Ideal Liposuction Candidate

The best liposuction candidate is young, no excess skin, good skin elasticity, and reasonable amounts of skin excess. We have only have your pictures to go on, but you seem to be this "ideal" candidate. I always caution my patients about thigh lipo regardless of the above qualities. Aggressive inner thigh lipo can lead quickly to loose skin and aggressive outer thigh lipo can quickly lead to cellulite appearance. Be sure to consult with a BS plastic surgeon with experience in liposuction that understands the limitations of this procedure. Best of luck!

I find that a 360 dgree approach gives the best results in these areas not just treating the outer and inner thigh.  For you, the full leg should be treated to reduce its size.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Thigh liposuction is tricky because the entire thigh surface is convex and convex areas are more likely to show defects from overly aggressive liposuction. Additionally, connections between inner thigh skin and deeper structures are much weaker than those on the outer aspect. Therefore the outer aspect is more likely to show divots and the inner aspect is more likely to just hang downward and look old as a result of overly aggressive liposuction. Obviously, one has to be much more conservative with thigh liposuction than liposuction in other areas. Hanging inner thighs from overly aggressive liposuction is impossible to fix. Divots of the outer thighs from overly aggressive liposuction may be fixable. The best thighs for liposuction are those where you can actually pinch the skin/fat and the thickness is 2 cm or more provided inner thigh liposuction is conservative. From your posted photos I suspect the outer thigh/sandbag areas would improve with liposuction but without a pinch examination it is impossible to know if the inner or front thighs are good candidates for liposuction.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.
My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. Hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD