Am I a candidate for Botox or other methods to help with eye "droopiness/heaviness?" (Photo)

Starting in 2007, I began having a reaction where my left eye became inflamed and swollen. Over time the skin has stretched out on my eyelid and now the eye is sometimes hard to open, and "droops." I've made an apmt w/ a dermatologist to contain the reaction. But I am wondering if my insurance would cover a brow or eyelid lift w/ Botox. On top of it being hard to open my eye sometimes it's something I'm conscious of. Am I a good candidate for this Botox, or are there other procedures?

Getting Droopy--Botox, Fillers, Radiofrequency for droopy eyelids

I can't speak to insurance coverage, however a combination approach can help this.You can lift the lateral eyebrow with botox and fillers. Radiofrequency treatments with thermage and/or sublative work very well to also elevate the brow and pull the skin away from your eye. I recommend getting a formal evaluation with a cosmetic dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer

Droopy eye

It is somewhat difficult to tell with your pictures but it appears that you have what is known as "true ptosis", a condition where the muscles of the upper lid are somewhat weakened or stretched out.  This is diagnosed when the upper lid droops over the iris or colored portion of the eye when you are looking directly ahead. "True ptosis" may be bilateral or unilateral and happen at any age. If this is the case, medical insurance does cover "true ptosis" and you should seek the care of a board certified ophthlamologist before using any Botox which will not help this problem.  Good luck.  Shelby Bentz MD

Shelby Bentz, MD
Bakersfield Physician

Botox to help a droopy eye

Botox is a medication injected into target muscles of the face to selectively weaken them. 

With an understanding of the balance between muscles around the eye on on the forehead, Botox can be used to weaken the muscles around the eye so the forehead can pull the eyebrow up a few millimeters. 

In a patient with a droopy eyelid, this may improve the droopiness; however one brow will be asymmetrically higher than the other. It's more important to diagnose the cause of the droopiness and treat it. Botox is a temporary measure. It is not covered by insurance. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox

Hello.  Botox can achieve a slight brow lift, if injected in correct areas.  That may or may not lift your eyelid a bit, but most likely the result will be subtle.  More importantly is to determine if you have lid ptosis..where the eyelid itself (i.e. not the overlying excess skin) is lower than ideal.  It's a bit hard to tell from your photos since you focused on your one eye.  Photograph showing both eyes may show whether your one eyelid is lower vs the other.  If you do have lid ptosis, that is best examined and repaired by an oculoplastic surgeon.  The best way to determine if you have lid ptosis is an in office consultation.  Take care.

Kenneth Yu, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Heavy brow, would Botox help

Botox will help elevate the brows a couple mm. However, Botox will not be covered by insurance for this. It won't be too expensive to do just this area.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox Droopy eyes

From the photos, it seems that the lid is still inflamed.  Dealing with the underlying problem is

appropriate before cosmetic concerns should be addressed.  If the dermatologist cannot diagnose or

properly treat this, see your opthalmologist.  Botox may be a temporary fix (3 months or so at a time)

but balancing the two lids together may be an issue.  Good luck and best of health,  Dr. S

Bruce Saal, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Chemical Brow Lift

Thanks for sharing your question and photos. Botox is used in many areas, including around the eye to lift the brow. Although you have one eye pictured, it seems you will benefit from the chemical brow lift. It lasts about 3 months and you will notice the heaviness return. It is relatively inexpensive and without any downtime. If you like the look and feel, you can try a more permanent solution later. Hope this helps. 

Michelle Eagan, MD
San Francisco Physician