5'1", 36b wanting to achieve double D breast. What cc will help me achieve that? Do I need a lift? I am 145lbs.

Want a double d currently a 36b do I need a lift I've had two kids my oldest is 11 months

Best Implant Size for DD Cup Size

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 550 cc implant to make her go from a “B” cup to a “DD” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link.

Choosing the proper Implants

There is no way to reliably pick which implant is right based upon your measurements alone and implant "CCs." Many things such as your skin quality, breast width, skin elasticity, existing breast tissue, chest wall shape and implant size and implant fill all contribute to your ultimate "look" after augmentation.
No physician can predict what each implant will do on your body until they are "sized in surgery." However, cup size is traditionally very inaccurate measurement scale (you likely wear different cup sizes in different manufacturers now).

The best way to achieve the look you want after augmentation is first a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and adequate communication with your surgeon. This is accomplished through the consult, exam, measurements, anatomic assessment and then in-office sizing. We also encourage patients to bring in photos of the "look" they are trying to achieve. Once all of this has been accomplished, the patient needs to put their trust into their physician to make the "best choice" of likely imperfect options. Then, you will get your "version" of your ideal outcome.

And yes, you will need to have a lift to achieve a youthful and attractive result.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Vertical scar lift

Hi. Yes unfortunately an augment alone will not suffice and you will need a lift. This would likely be a minimal scar vertical lift. Implant size csnnot be determined from photos alone and would need an examination. Regards

5'1", 36b wanting to achieve double D breast. What cc will help me achieve that? Do I need a lift? I am 145lbs

I appreciate your question.

From your photos, yes it does appear you would benefit from a lift to reposition your nipples and help reshape your breasts giving a more youthful appearance.

In terms of implant size, The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.
Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant.

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Implants alone do not adequately lift the breast when there is significant sagging, no matter the size or type of implant, and will not produce a good cosmetic result in a patient who also needs some variation of a lift.

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: Your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 32 DD and a 36 DD are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer. There is also no direct correlation between an implant size or shape and resultant cup size.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person and be very realistic about your potential cosmetic result.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift.

Hello. You should consider a breast lift with implants to achieve your desired bust line. Your BCPS will measure your breast dimensions to allow you to achieve your goal. Wish you the best

Dr. B

Do I need a lift?

At least from what I can see in your pictures, yes, you do need a breast lift.
The ideal size for the implants can only be decided during a consultation, taking few measurements and discussing the exact goals that you have.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

A lift will give a better shape

Implants alone are unlikely to give you a nice shape in my opinion. Often I will place the implants and then sit the back of the operating room table up to determine where the final nipple position should be. Every once in a while I will not need a lift if bigger implants are used. Based on you pictures I am 90% sure a lift will be needed. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

5'1", 36b wanting to achieve double D breast. What cc will help me achieve that? Do I need a lift? I am 145lbs (Photo)

Thank you for your question. Breast augmentation surgery is individualized to each patient.The method of implant selection and size is best done in consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. The shape and size of your breasts prior to surgery will influence both the recommended treatment and the final results. I tell all of my patients “Dimensions and proportions are the determinants of a beautiful breast; not volume.” I recommend that you make an appointment with your plastic surgeon to discuss your breast augmentation and implant choice.

Breast Surgery

You will definitely need a lift to get an attractive result. And you should have no trouble getting to a DD look if that is your goal. But no one on this website can give you implant volume advice without an exam as each implant can give different results in different patients. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD